Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: shutdown problems...checked other posts and still not workin

My system is:

AMD 1700+
    SOYO K7V Dragon + mobo (266A)
    256MB DDR Ram
    64MB ATI Radeon 8500 video card
    40gb hd
    cd rom etc...nothing more
    using onboard sound.
    Windows XP

My problem is that windows will restart when I shut it down, but it doesnt happen every singel time I shut it down, maybe 50% of the time.....wierd problem I think.

I have looked at www.ahuma.org at his shutdown tips but none of them helped. I have also reset my event viewer and tired to see if it will show an error so I know what I am dealing with my there are no errors after the computer just restarts when shutdown.

I have also looked in the power managment settings in windows and there is no tab there for APM. In my bios I see the ACPI setting is set to pos1 or something like that but there is no way to change that setting so I usume ACPI is on becasue under device manager there are drivers there for ACPI anyway.

i have also downloaded the latest drivers to my hardware and most of the important(?) windows updates from mincrosoft.

Have searched forums at many different places to no avail......does anyone know how to stop this F)=(/&(( problem?????

Would appriciate any help!

Have ya checked to see if there's a BIOS update that may address the problem? :?:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Yeah I checked after a bios update but none is made for that kind of fix. any other ideas?

I did find some info about a key in the registry called "PowerdownAfterShutdown". This is what I found:

Settings
    Key: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\
    CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
    Value Name: PowerdownAfterShutdown
    Data Type: REG_SZ (String Value)
    Value Data: (0 = reboot, 1 = power down)

Does anyone have it set to 1 becasue mine was set to 0 but I dont know if it will work but I will try it anyway.

you could also try totally disabling acpi

I'd also upgrade the bios reguardless of whether its supposed to fix your problem or not - u can get significant increases in speed when after a bios update - it also means that you've eliminated that as a problem

and you may as well get all the windows updates

Usually i've seen this problem occuring in older machines - not newer ones

I will agreed with the last post try disableing the acpi or power mangement in your BIOS, you'll need to reinstall Windows XP tho to resolve the problem since Windows XP look at this setting once at the installation and install windows for this setting so if you change it and don't reinstall windows the problem will still. I've got this problem with some MSI board who were just doing their shut down like on AT PC, i've solved the problem this way. Your problem seen to be related to this same power management

hope it will help ya

just posted this on another thread .. thought i would drop it in here too. I will check that registry thing....

I have run into this problem.

I purchaced a new CD-burner and installed it.

Now when I Shutdown the computer it restarts instead. Dosent matter how I tell it to shutdown it will restart unless I hit the power buton for 5 seconds for a forced power off.

What tells the computer to restart or shutdown ? I am thinking it is somthing to do with windows XP but I dont know what. Or where to look for the problem.

After the install the computer crashed a couple time on boot up.. this was fixed by removing 1/2 the ram and letting it boot then I was able to put the rest of the ram back in (yes i shut it off first) and it booted with all the memory. But now .. It wont shutdown.

Just restarts.

Nope the registry thing did nothing,

In the advanced power managment it gives the option or what you would like your power button to do when pressed. It was set at Shutdown computer. If i turn that off then pressing it no longer does anything.

I like it whn a single push of the button will shutdown the computer but It just wont do that any more .. It is now a "shutdown and Restart" button.

There must be somthing that tells it to turn back on but what.

Is this Windows or Bios ?

Seems to me that you are getting a BSOD at shutdown and you have "automatic restart" enabled, which is leading to that restart. any ways do this...
    Right-click on My Computer, click Properties, click the Advanced tab. Under “Startup & Recovery,” click Settings. Under “System Failure,” uncheck the box in front of “Automatically restart.”.
    now shutdown and see what happens. most probably you will get a BSOD. note the complete error from there and post here. then we will see what happens.
    in the mean time you can also read the following page
    http://aumha.org/win5/a/shtdwnxp.php
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

Thread Information