Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: WinXP Tweaking Guides

Great, and thanks for letting us know so other people who have the same problem can do what you did :)

No Prblemo

I always find a way always heh.
    :flames:

hi..i did this guide. very nice but..now outlook express will nto boot up for like a minute or so for some reason? any idea why?

Thanks
    Dont shoot until yo know what you are shooting at!!!!!

If you're experiencing slowdown in Outlook Express, the solution is in my guide, under the registy editor section here

still love the guide...

but i dont understand why every guide and optimization app i know recommend about 1,5 - 2,5 times your ram size for swap file?? I have a AMD athlon 900mhz with 256mb ram and an Asus AGP Geforce DDR graphics card (32mb ram) and most new games (like morrowind and mafia) runs a lot smoother when i use a 1gig swap file... only problem is that after a couple of hours of gaming it slows down a lot and i have to restart.. but still.. having to restart once in a while is a lot better than the game running crappy all the time....

i've experimentet with everything between 256mb and 1024mb swap file and 1024mb makes the games run a lot better than any other setting....

I guess I was trying to be conservative. MS recommends 1.5x RAM so I used that, but I wanted to dispell the myth a lot of people have that you only need a small (e.g. 300MB) or even zero-sized swapfile, just because you have 512MB or more. This fallacy has been spread around a great deal and as you know, most games become unplayable unless you have a decent sized swapfile.

So as a minimum 1.5xRAM is nice, more if you have less than 512MB of RAM. Iíve found more recently that setting the swapfile to zero is a no-no...even with over 1GB of RAM some programs rely on the presence of the swapfile, so setting it to 0 (turning it off) will cause problems. For those with 1GB or more I recommend a swapfile of say 16MB.

Iíll update my guide with this sort of advice soon, and keep in mind Iím currently doing a second XP guide, so Iíll have more info in that :)

Ok guys, my second XP Guide is out now and has the ever-so-cool title of:

WinXP Tweaking: From Relax to Righteous

This guide follows on from my first XP Guide WinXP Tweaking: From Reformat to Relax, which covers all the performance tweaks.

This second guide covers a lot of the extras inXP. There are too many to go through here, but believe me there should be something in there for everyone!

Let me know what you think - constructive feedback welcome!

Great guide PersianImmortal. I can really feel a difference in my PC's performance. However, I have one small problem: I can't download attached files from Outlook Express email. The attachments are in the mails, but the opening or saving option is disabled? Could it be one of the services, or one of the changes in the registry?
    It's not important to know all the answers, as long as you know how to contact someone who does.

Thanks. As if by magic, I've already answered your question in my 2nd Windows XP guide, released today!

Check it out: WinXP Tweaking: From Relax to Righteous

WOW!!! That was fast - Thanks!
    It's not important to know all the answers, as long as you know how to contact someone who does.

Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread Information