Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: WinXP Tweaking Guides

Quick question for you, do I need to re-install Windows XP, after I convert both my drives to NTFS?

Just a note, I was able to see 'sharing' under folder options before I did the tweaking. After I turned off some 'services', it was grayed out. Do you think I will be able to see it after the convertion? :?:

To safely covert to NTFS you have to re-install cos you will have to format yuor hard-drive to a different format.
    Thought there are some people who might not agree with me as there is a program named "Partition Magic" that does the job of converting your HD format from one type to another without formatting. I have never used it but you can search the forum for "Partition Magic" and you'll be able to know more about it. Before using "Partition Magic", do back-up your data as you never know when the process might go wrong.

I would again say that a service might not have changed your sharing, but if you have any doubts, try Black Viper's services guide. It explains every service in detail.
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

very nice guide, thank you, linda

I'm experiencing problems with Windows Explorer, it's been crashing very often lately. It happens after the tweaking. I feel like I'm using Win98. I tried to restore the system to an earlier stage, but Norton Anti-Virus Scanner has an '!' icon in the system tray. Any clues on how to fix the problem?:(

which problem do you want to solve? the explorer crashing or the NAV showing an "!" in the system icon?
    to solve the latter problem just update your NAV, cos it feels that its been ripped off the updates after you restored the system to a back date.
    about the former one, well what do you mean by crashing? does it restart often or it hangs and sits there looking at you like some dumb thing?
    tell us a bit more about your problem.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    =======================
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

Sorry about the confusion. Now I've just updated the virus definition of NAV. The '!' icon is still there. Not sure if it'll go away when I reboot.

My 'Explorer' first hangs and a window pops up saying that, 'windows explorer is experiencing..........window needs to close now....'. Then all the icons in the system tray are gone, leaving maybe one or two, e.g. zonealarm. I had the same experience with Win 98 before.

I'm going to reboot now, hope the '!' will be gone. Tks for your help.

I can't say I'm positive the tweak led it to not work, but it seems possible.

Was there any service or tweak that could cause Search (as in Start>Search in XP Home) to stop working?

Thanks.

we would be more helpful if you could give us the errors you are getting.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

======================
    =======================
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

Hi. I went through your tweaking guide, and it all worked out really well, until I tried to do a couple of other things apart from play games. My first problem was that I couldn't record audio from the input in my sound card. I fixed this by turning systray back on. However, another problem I'm having is that when burning cd's, the buffer now runs down very quickly. I use Easy CD Creator. I was just wondering if anyone could shed any light on what I might need to turn back on to get this to work, rather than restoring my whole registry.

Quote Originally Posted by asklepios
    which problem do you want to solve? the explorer crashing or the NAV showing an "!" in the system icon?
    to solve the latter problem just update your NAV, cos it feels that its been ripped off the updates after you restored the system to a back date.
    about the former one, well what do you mean by crashing? does it restart often or it hangs and sits there looking at you like some dumb thing?
    tell us a bit more about your problem.

Just so you know, my NAV is working fine. Window Explorer crashes less often. Tks for your help. I still haven't convert my drives to NTFS yet, since I have a lot of data to back up. My LG burner has never been working properly, which I couldn't figure out why. I guess I might need to buy a new burner for backup first.

Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread Information