Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: WinXP Tweaking Guides

i have not read thru this thread in its entirety but a big red warning should be splashed beside turning off those network services. some of the boys may not get back on the web again to see what they turned off.

i think msn messenger uses the telenet service for voice comms.

the print spooler dll sub-routines are called from other programs other than for printing functions (undocumented from microsoft). you can have strange chit happening from seemingly unrelated functions. flag this baby too.

great article tho, the best, congrats

well C-deck...i agree with you about print spooler. people never read carefully that this services has to be there if you have a printer installed. (i never read any use of it other than printing).
    about telenet...well i don't know which service are u talking abt. either it is telnet or telephony. former is of no use for a regular home user, forget abt using msn, while latter is a must for every dial-up user.
    and which network services are u talking about? :?:
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

I've had the Print Spooler disabled since day one (never used a printer on my home PC) and no problems whatsover. The Print Spooler is literally only a necessary service if you're connected to a printer, and I note that you should leave it on if you do so.

Also, I do agree that service changes can be dangerous, but that's why I try and steer people towards the Blackviper services guide which is much more descriptive and comprehensive.

if you are a home user and don't have regular printing needs then u r better off leaving the serivce as stopped and manual. everytime you want to take prints you can switch it on again.
    it can be a bit tedious but it saves you a full 3.8MB of memory.
    i agree with PI. I have never seen print spooler giving troubles on PC's without a printer. :?:
    Latest Microsoft Security Updates.
    Last Updated:
    10th MARCH

If you are a security freak: Use Microsoft Baseline Security Analyzer (NT/2000/XP/2003)
    ======================
    jabber : asklepios20@jabber.org
    =======================
    Linux user since: April 24, 2003 312478
    yabaa dabaa doo...
    Customized for 1024x768

i am sorry about the earlier post, i was very sleepy. it didnt make sense to me and i wrote it.

a couple months after win xp's release, a web site suggested to disable networking functions (they were clear about what the services did but said "if you don't do ???? then disable this function"). They had the ms sdk kit and read straight out of the book.

so i strolled into their forum after reading this article. you should have seen the problems. an uncountable number of kids were formatting comps to get back online and to reset comps back to the defaults.

obviously they never backed the registry and were not clicking the "apply" button when enabling the services. it created a lot of grief for them.

as far as the print spooler goes. it appears to me that at least one ms programmer accessed some functions in the print spooler function and forgot to document ( a missing dependency). i wasnt the only one to have this problem and i can duplicate it cuz one of my home computers has the same setup as back then, maybe it has been fixed, i dunno.

I cant remember what it was cuz the computer between my ears has 16k ram and an old processor with FIFO stack technology.

ill keep ya posted when i find it.

better to recommend manual for networking functions and print spooler i think. the performance hit is negligible unless they are a power user.

Quote Originally Posted by small lee
    Just so you know, my NAV is working fine. Window Explorer crashes less often. Tks for your help. I still haven't convert my drives to NTFS yet, since I have a lot of data to back up. My LG burner has never been working properly, which I couldn't figure out why. I guess I might need to buy a new burner for backup first.
    b4 u chuck the burner, check cable and molex, simply unplug and reinsert. get a cdrw diag util, see what it says, try a cd cleaner. its worth a try

Great guide! I've implemented a majority of the tweaks and my boot time is many times faster. I haven't re-bench marked my system yet, so I'm not sure how much better performance I'll get out of it with games.

I do have one problem, however. Your guide mentions that disabling MS Messenger creates a slow login with Outlook Express and provides a fix. However, I am experiencing the same lag with Outlook XP (before the tweaks it would load almost instantaneously, now it sits at the splash screen for about 10 - 15 seconds). I tried searching for a like registry key fix like you explained for Outlook Express, but had no luck. Have you got any suggestions?

Great guide, many unique tweaks I have not seen before. Thanks...

But since you have rummaged through so many tweak sites, I am betting you have come across a few that I have in mind that BUG THE HELL out of me.. :)

Listed in order of annoyance: (first one = extremely annoying)

#0) File Find sucks hard

I WANT the 98SE file find back...!!!

#1) Default Window Size.

You listed a tweak to set IE to always open in the same position, with the same window size... Great I love it, now I need the same thing for folders I have never opened before... on my screen they open a default size of 800 X 600, and i have to resize every damn one! Help!

#2) Folder in use by another user.

Oh this pisses me off, you open some files within a folder, and then moments later, even if you have closed the app that was using the file, it still claims the folder is in use, and cannot be moved or deleted, renamed etc. I am no newb, I know just exactly when my folders are in use!!

#3) Shut Down Menu fades the screen to gray.

I DON'T want it to fade to gray!!! DUMB DUMB feature.

#4) Where is Ne****cher???

I want it back!!! Very useful program.

Help me !! Help me !!
    "In their capacity as a tool, computers will be but a ripple on the surface of our culture. In their capacity as intellectual challenge, they are without precedent in the cultural history of mankind." - Edsger Dijkstra

Quote Originally Posted by zeradul
    Great guide, many unique tweaks I have not seen before. Thanks...

But since you have rummaged through so many tweak sites, I am betting you have come across a few that I have in mind that BUG THE HELL out of me.. :)

#4) Where is Ne****cher???

I want it back!!! Very useful program.

Help me !! Help me !!
    WinXP does have ne****cher, it's in computer management, under shared folders, or you could always use the command prompt to see who's connected... e.g. the net session command to see who's connected, net file to see open files and net use to connect to someone's computer... Hope this helps

:cheers:
    Athlon XP 1800+ @ 1690MHz, 512MB DDR RAM(1x Apacer 256 + 1x Kingmax 256), Thermaltake V9, Gigabyte GA-7VRX, MSI GF4Ti4200 64MB, 40GB+80GB Seagate Barracuda IV, Creative Soundblaster Live! 5.1DE, Pioneer DVR-105 DVD-RW, Liteon LTR40125S, Samsung TFT 151s, Altec Lansing 641

Page 14 of 21 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread Information