Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: WinXP Tweaking Guides

I actually do know about that, but it is not as handy as ne****cher. With ne****cher, you could instantly un-share any or all of your folders, printers, etc. You could disconnect individual users, and see in real time, what exactly they were acessing. And what folders they had open. You could change passwords, kick a user share by share, or all at once.

* sigh *

I expect MS will release it as a powertoy one of these days, but no luck yet. :cry:
    "In their capacity as a tool, computers will be but a ripple on the surface of our culture. In their capacity as intellectual challenge, they are without precedent in the cultural history of mankind." - Edsger Dijkstra

Well then if you miss it so much, you can go get Ne****cher Pro... Does everything you just mentioned...
    Athlon XP 1800+ @ 1690MHz, 512MB DDR RAM(1x Apacer 256 + 1x Kingmax 256), Thermaltake V9, Gigabyte GA-7VRX, MSI GF4Ti4200 64MB, 40GB+80GB Seagate Barracuda IV, Creative Soundblaster Live! 5.1DE, Pioneer DVR-105 DVD-RW, Liteon LTR40125S, Samsung TFT 151s, Altec Lansing 641

i did some of the tweaks but i think i did something that slowed down the speed the start menu expands when i highlight a topic that has more components. Can some one tell me what to do to speed it up?

Very good guide PI:thumb:, finally got around to tweaking my XP install, and am going through the 2nd guide ATM.

1st made a noticeable speed difference in bootup/shutdown

BTW I've added a very important notice for a tweak on the Registry Editor page in the first guide.

In my recent experience the LargeSystemCache tweak can be extremely dangerous on Serial ATA (SATA) drives or SCSI drives. I personally use a SATA drive, and the two separate times I've enabled this tweak after a fresh reformat/reinstall I have got a
    "Delayed Write Failure" error and a corrupted hard drive.

While I'm not 100% sure it's due to this tweak, as I say in the guide, I strongly recommend against using it on SATA/SCSI drives. I believe it does something to the file cache which makes the drive corrupt the NTFS security descriptors after a defrag or Bootvis optimization.

Guys,

I am also only too aware that XP's file search sucks the big one.

The phrase "golf balls through a garden hose" springs to mind.

I discovered the wonders of AVAFIND, a sweet search utility that returns results in under a second.

Check it out at www.avafind.com

Good luck,

Ferrit

P.S. The 2 tweaking guides rock. Nice one.

here are some really good sites that I have been a member of for some time and allso written some myself, bettween all these sites there is every tweak out that you can get for win XP so with all this in mind have fun like I do.

http://www.tweakxp.com/tweakxp/

http://www.subvers.com/technobabble/...ks/access0.htm

http://www.winguides.com/windowsxp/

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/e...ne/newsgroups/

http://www.winxpfix.com/

http://www.tipsdr.com/

These sites have all your tweaking needs so have fun guys.
    Bulldog_UK

PersianImmortal, GREAT GUIDE. Only have read till page 3 of the new one. Although I have enough experience with reading tweak guides to know a good one when I see it.
    I have read all for tweakxp, ect. ect. ect. They are good, just not as straight forward and layed out as well.

Although I have something to say for you having to spend so much time answering questions that people SHOULD KNOW before EVEN THINKING ABOUT TWEAKING THEIR SYSTEMS.

Why is that most people want to have EVERYTHING plug and play, expect everything to work, NEVER read a freaking thing, yet THINK they know how everything works.

Do these people know and understand
    What
    Bios
    PnP
    POTS
    IRQ
    DOS
    Ect. ect. ect. Stand for?
    Do they know what Binary code, dip switches, ect. are and how they work?
    Or what FAT 16, FAT 32, and NTFS are? How they store information, ie. 4kb chunks. ect.
    I read the complete 4 pages and was suprised how many people seemed to be making ALL these changes and if you REALLY asked if they knew what each change was and WHY they did it...I would venture to say the REAL answer would be - I am not sure.........

I personally have taught myself DOS, since back in the days of tape drives and a commodore 64, and then on to an 8088 with Leisure suit Larry - BEST GAME I HAVE EVER PLAYED. I actually bought a copy in the original box (5 1/2 disks) for historical sakes!!!

Anyway, it is just sad how many people don't READ and LEARN about their computer.

WIGGO made a statement I thought was IRONIC as I was reading through..........
    I find it easier to study the mobo manual before assembly as to find where the shares are to start with and then fit the cards accordingly so software doesn't have a hard time to start with.
    REALLY?!?!?! Why would you WASTE your time? !?!? Learning how it WORKS 1ST. What a concept.

I am sorry for the rant. I was a DSL TECH for a while and quit cause I got so sick of talking to people who "THOUGHT THEY KNEW" BUT REALLY HAD NO CLUE...... And I was supposed to get them back on the road and working Over the phone!!!
    Frustrating to say the least.
    I just wish more people spent the time to read and learn, instead of just getting online, hopping on a forum and expecting the answer for everything to pop out from someone. Why not just get a couple books and LEARN.
    OR those people that build a home network and don't have a clue about a TCP/IP stack, what netbuei is, how to enable WEP and WHY. Wonder why so many business's STILL DON'T either. How did warrior driving come about. Realistic #'s are about 50% of wireless networks are completely open, and unprotected. Even at business's!!! Unreal to me....
    I know a lot of people do, I am just speaking about the ones that don't and expect, expect, expect...
    I still ask questions, even the most elementary, nobody has all the answers...
    Enough ranting. GREAT GUIDES - ALL OF THEM. Thanks for spending YOUR TIME helping others. That is what it is all about.

For PEOPLE that do want to learn more, check out
    Smart Computing magazine at your local Wal-Mart or at any magazine rack. It is great place to start reading and learn more about your computer and everything else involved with it.
    Or on the web.

Personally, I learn something new everyday. To me that is the funnest thing about computers...

Chez

Knowledge is POWER...
    SFlower/Kingwin TT-201AB-W 3 window 12 bay Black/Gold ~
    Antec 480Blue modded+UV blue sleeved-hshrink from Pc-perfomance
    A7V8X Deluxe Rev. 2.0 - 2500+ Barton ~ Aero 7+ OR TT 11 Xaser w/ TT fan tube
    MSI Ti4200-VTD8X 8X AGP w/Zalman h-pipe cooler ~ Geil 2 x 512 Cas 2.5 6-3-3-2t w/Blue HS
    WD120JB 7200 8mg Cache ~ Maxtor Quantum Fireball 60GB
    Lite-on 48x24x48x16x CDRW-DVD Black ~ Aopen 56x Cdrom Black
    Enermax 3.5" Fan controller A3FATR2 ~ Round UV Blue cables/Silver braid
    2x12” UV/Blacklight CC Sound/on-off/PCI switch ~ 2x12” Thtake Blue CC Sound/on-off/PCI sw
    ALL wires UV Blue sleeved + Hshrink - Cornea CT 1904 19" LCD BLk/Slvr ~ Microsoft™ Windows XP Pro

Knowledge is POWER

Thanks Chez. Hope you enjoy the rest of the guide and you also try my 2nd XP Guide because it carries on with more useful tweaks/tips.

I agree with you that the world would be a much better place if people tried to understand something before toying with it, but of course that's not the way most people work.

In some ways that's fine, because often you learn the most by making mistakes. Unfortunately a lot of people continue to repeat the same mistake because they never realise they're making a mistake in the first place :)

If there's one thing I hope my guides do, it's to get people curious about how their PCs work and to chase up things they want to learn more about. The guides are only a start. :)

PersianImmortal,

I have been racking my brain:hammer: trying to find

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\Curr entVersion\Explorer

For the unload dll file tweak.

I tried the search function and a few other tricks and still can't find it. Atlhough it sounds like a pretty cool tweak that I would liket o do.

Can you help?

Chez
    SFlower/Kingwin TT-201AB-W 3 window 12 bay Black/Gold ~
    Antec 480Blue modded+UV blue sleeved-hshrink from Pc-perfomance
    A7V8X Deluxe Rev. 2.0 - 2500+ Barton ~ Aero 7+ OR TT 11 Xaser w/ TT fan tube
    MSI Ti4200-VTD8X 8X AGP w/Zalman h-pipe cooler ~ Geil 2 x 512 Cas 2.5 6-3-3-2t w/Blue HS
    WD120JB 7200 8mg Cache ~ Maxtor Quantum Fireball 60GB
    Lite-on 48x24x48x16x CDRW-DVD Black ~ Aopen 56x Cdrom Black
    Enermax 3.5" Fan controller A3FATR2 ~ Round UV Blue cables/Silver braid
    2x12” UV/Blacklight CC Sound/on-off/PCI switch ~ 2x12” Thtake Blue CC Sound/on-off/PCI sw
    ALL wires UV Blue sleeved + Hshrink - Cornea CT 1904 19" LCD BLk/Slvr ~ Microsoft™ Windows XP Pro

Knowledge is POWER

Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread Information