Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast

Thread: WinXP Tweaking Guides

Hi, this is my first post.
    Thanks for a great tweaking guide. It has helped speed up my system alot.
    I dont know which tweak it was, but one of them removed my welcome screen (when you press windows key and L, and when on screensaver), i just get the login screen.
    How do I get the welcome screen back?

Many thanks for your help

Make sure you have "Use Welcome Screen" ticked under the User Accounts screen (see top of Page 3), and on Page 8 see the "Remove Shutdown/Logoff/Restart messages" section, and set it to Disabled.

I didn't bother to read through this whole post (in fact I read almost none of it) for obvious reasons, so I hope this hasn't been pointed out. After going through the MSConfig and Services section of Reformat to Relax, users will be unable to view and share files of other network computers. This is because by following the advice and setting all of the unlisted services to manual, 3 services neccesary to share files and view shared files are no longer set to automatic as they need to be. The guide should probably be edited to mention that without the following services set to automatic you will be unable to share and view files with Explorer on Local Area Networks:

Network Location Awareness (NLA)
    Server
    Workstation

I just thought I would tell you about this because there have been several threads in both Windows and Networking relating to not being able to see and share files in Windows XP that might have been brought about this guide. Great guide but it personally put me through hell :devil win at LAN parties after I used it because I had no idea why the network wasn't working properly. Luckily I managed to figure it out after a while, but I'm sure other people won't be as lucky. Just tell people to disable those 3 if they don't have a LAN of some sort or regularly connect to LANs.

There are many tweaks in that guide which may disable specific functionality which a user wants/needs. The guide does mention, especially in the services section, that what I've provided are basic recommendations, and that users should refer to the Blackviper services guide (linked on that page) for more detailed instructions.

Warnings aren't much use though. I put a warning next to Print Spooler a while back saying people with printers should set that service to automatic, and yet I still get emails from people asking why their printer stopped working, and of course it turns out they disabled Print Spooler (despite the explicit instructions).

Can i get a printable version of those guides??
    SYX -=AMD Powered=-
    AMD 1800+ @ 1880Mhz on A7S333 , 250 Meg DDR 333 Platinum @2-2-2-6
    Asus TNT 2 32 meg (128) , 250W ATX, 200W AT (same case)
    Steel automotive intake fan (see avatar) , 3X40mm exaust fans in the back

Quote Originally Posted by syx
    Can i get a printable version of those guides??
    there should be a big blue 'print' at the top of the page
    I've gone too far and need to move on!

I've updated the Virtual Memory/Pagefile advice in my WinXP: Reformat to Relax guide on this page. I recommend people revise their Virtual Memory settings based on this advice, as it's critical to getting the best trouble-free performance from recent games like Far Cry, UT2004 etc.

Hi there,

First of all I would like to say thanks for these awesome guides, I've learned (and implemented) alot from them.

I just want to point out that the Cacheman authors now offer CachemanXP, which includes alot more options and tweaks over the original Cacheman. Plus, it can run in your system tray, monitoring and optimizing RAM on the fly, with no visible effect on resources usage.

The only issue is that in order to use the automatic optimization feature, you have to register... but if you know what you're doing, it's much more flexible and useful than the original Cacheman IMHO.

i would like to ad something: i really recommed using tweak xp pro 3 (or if there's a newer version the newer one)
    its a trial wich expires after 30 uses, but i never ever had to use it that many times :D :D :D
    so basicly i find it freeware
    although i'm a hardcore tweaker, i dont know what the videocard and cpu optimization/optimisation does, but it makes a +100 points difference in aquarmark, so i would say: use it! :twisted:

This looks awesome, I'm going to have a read... i love tweaks |-). There is just so many hidden features locked away in XP.

Has anyone ever encountered the disability keys ? i.e. tapping the right shift button five times, ot holding down the right shift button for 8 seconds. What happens is that it can lock your keyboard into caps lock, or lock your shift button.... i remember once, i got it into such a mess, I couldn't get out of it !! It was a complete nightmare, i spent a good 30 mins in frustration !

Page 20 of 21 FirstFirst ... 1018192021 LastLast

Thread Information