Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: WinXP Tweaking Guides

Quote Originally Posted by Daffy
    Something in this guide completely trashed my video card settings. After making these changes and upon reboot, my GeForce 4 Ti4200 would not load its drivers. For a detail description of the problems I had, see this thread in a different forum:

http://www.guru3d.com/forum/showthre...threadid=33141

Also, my windows explorer no longer shows my hard drive. When I open explorer, the only folders that show up in the left hand column are in order:

My Network Places (what the hell is that - what happened to My computer)
    Recycle Bin
    My Documents
    sub My Music
    sub My Pictures
    sub My Received Files

What happended to my C: drive, my A: drive, and my D: CD-RW ???? They're no longer showing up in windows explorer. :confused:

Which one of the so called tweaks caused these problems? Especially the conflict between my AGP port and video card.

Daffy
    hmm....thats gotta hurt, did u turn on system restore? =) if you didnt, lets analyze hmm, well by the post in guru3d, you did it wrong =\, should set a system restore, much easier and stable...damn ms stuff actually has a us..ironic

hmm, you say that the registry backup restore helped..so, its something you did in the registry???

and what i dont get is how even after magnus reinstalled xp twice he still got a code 10??

and how do u see a code 10 if your video card acts dead...

hmm...that faulty ram thing might screw you over even after a couple restarts..shrugs..lets see

could it have been the nvidia rundll32? i doubt it though

i doubt its the tweaks cause i probably applied almost every single one and didnt get an error, although im not running a g4, i think its your video card, since that magnus guy had the same problem

I'm sorry to hear you've had problems Daffy. That's the main reason I suggested creating a backup of the registry before starting my tweaks, although I can't understand why restoring your registry failed...

I've never seen the error and to be honest it sounds more related to your motherboard configuration/drivers.

I can't think of any tweaks in my guide which would "damage" the drivers. The only thing that comes close is if you run Regcleaner and somehow it deletes important registry keys. This is unlikely, but try this:

Run Regcleaner again and click on the Backups tab and restore all the backed up deleted registry entries - that may help.

Also try setting ALL your services to Automatic for troubleshooting purposes.

You can also try holding down F8 while WinXP is booting up, and choose to boot into safe mode.

Otherwise quite honestly I don't thinkn there are any "dangerous" irreversible tweaks in my guide. And note I did say to turn off System Restore ONLY if you have confidence in your system abilities.

Let me know if you need more help.

PersianImmortal - sorry if I sounded critical. In fact, your guide is very usefull. I'm sure 99% of the folks out there aren't experiencing the problems I am. Seems to be isolated with this particular video card (although there are quite a few from reading other forums). It's just that my card/system was working fine before I made one of the tweaks. Something in the guide must have caused a driver conflict.

Unfortunately, my video card drivers crashed before I even got to the stage of running the separate programs like RegCleaner. And I'm stumped my backup registry won't fully load. However, it loaded enough of my original settings to get my video card drivers to work again. I'm OK for now. However, I plan on going through your guide one step at a time and rebooting to see which setting caused the conflict. Give me a few days to work on that and report back. This is a very strange problem to troubleshoot.

aznx - I'm getting the code 10 error while attempting to loan the Nvidia drivers. It get's about 80% of the way through the install and then XP decides it doesn't like the drivers and spits out the error code. Also, there are conflicts reported in the device manager. Video still works, but it uses the standard VGA driver. And we know that looks like. I've tried all the install routines, deleting old drivers, clearing out *.inf files, Nvidia registry entries, etc...and nothing worked. I doubt this is a RAM issue like someone else reported. This problem is widespread among various Ti4200 cards. I haven't seen anyone report this problem on the Ti4400 or Ti4600 cards. Just the recently released Ti4200 cards. Very strange indeed....

There's absolutely nothing wrong with being critical of the guide - if there's any way I can improve it to avoid others experiencing what happened to you, let me know :)

I really am at a loss to figure out which tweak could do what you've described. Nothing in the guide messes with driver configurations or alters any of the crucial system settings to the point where you'll have those errors.

Anyway let me know if you find it.

im thinking its your video card's stability, since you mention it has occured on numerous ti4200s..and i'm sure they didnt all use tweaktown's xp tweak guide..lol

Quote Originally Posted by aznx
    im thinking its your video card's stability, since you mention it has occured on numerous ti4200s..and i'm sure they didnt all use tweaktown's xp tweak guide..lol
    Could be. However, my card/system was working just fine until I used the tweak guide. So, how else am I supposed to interpret the fact my drivers wouldn't load upon reboot of tweaking? Obviously something triggered this error. And there are more than one tweak guide out there that contain very similar tweaks as to this one. Also, no one has mentioned the problem occurring on a clean install. So, those of us getting this funky error probably have tweaked systems and it could be that yet unidentified tweak causing the problem.

Whatever....I'll keep troubleshooting when I have more time.....for now, it's back to work.

Peace fellow tweakers....

well, i highly doubt it but have fun

I notice you mention your drives disappeared. This usually happens when an IDE filter driver is corrupted or badly installed. An your graphics card problems would quite similarly be related to an AGP filter driver.

Basically this is all part of your motherboard drivers. Have you tried reinstalling the motherboard drivers. If you haven't already, try reverting to the default XP drivers for:

CPU to AGP Controller
    Primary & Secondary IDE Channels
    Bus Master IDE Controller

in the Device Manager.

You can do this by double-clicking on the device>Driver tab>Update Driver>"Install from a list or specific location">"Don't search. I will choose the driver to install"> select the first one on your list (usually has Microsoft next to it)>Reboot.

Then go to control panel>Add remove and find any motherboard/AGP driver entries and uninstall them>reboot

Then reinstall the new drivers.

I can't see where in my guide it would affect the motherboard drivers but as I said, I strongly suspect it's your mobo chipset drivers which are at fault, especially since your drives have disappeared and you're having AGP related errors.

I FOUND IT !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AH HAH !!!!!!!!!! :eek:

Ok, here's the deal. Whenever I change the registry key LargeSystemCache from a 0 to a 1 (in the memory management section of the guide), my video card drivers won't load. I was changing the registry keys in the guide one at a time and rebooting after each change, and upon changing that key from a 0 (default) to a 1 (recommended for 512mb or more - which I have), my drivers would not load upon reboot. After setting this key back to 0 my video drivers loaded just fine. I tested it 5 times, going back and forth rebooting, and everytime at setting 1 my drivers would not load. That's got to be it!

So, the million dollar question is "WHY !!!??????????".

Daffy

Good detective work there :thumb:
    As to the question "why?" maybe a little harder to answer as some setups XP acts a little differently for. :?:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread Information