Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: WinXP Tweaking Guides

hmm daffy, thats pretty odd, maybe not enough memory or memory corruption..

That's very odd indeed. It has nothing to do with the drivers whatsoever. I'm not saying I don't believe you, just that it sounds odd!

Changing the LargeSystemCache setting in the registry is the same as going to Control Panel>System>Advanced>Performance Settings>Advanced> and under the Memory Usage section, selecting "System Cache" instead of programs.

Note that my recommended setting in the guide is to set this to Programs (LargeSystemCache=0), and I say that you may get potential performance improvement by changing it. I've run XP with LargeSystemCache=1 for months at one time and never had a problem.

I think there must be something unique to your setup which is triggered by greater usage of RAM for system cache, because there's no logic behind it being the source of any problems. It's just a memory assignment tweak.

My only thought is that perhaps your RAM is causing corruption to the drivers when they're loaded into the larger system cache area.

Anyway thanks for getting back to me, but I don't think I'll change the guide as it's a rare problem :)

:) Have had no problem with that tweak and my Ti 4200. I'm running 1 gig of ram.

good guide. but how come i cannot open gpedit.msc?

I am attempting to format my harddrive and then reinstall Win xp. Prior to Win xp, I was running 98 se with a second partition. Now, I can't figure out how to delete the partition and then make the entire harddrive into one partition. I have it down to one partition and the remainder is unpartitioned space, but when attempting to delete the primary partition so I can merge the two, I get the message cannot delete this partition b/c it has temporary setup files needed for install.

On a different note, I have used most of the tweaks in this guide on my work computer, running Win NT 4.0, and it has worked wonders for the computer, my network administrator doesn't like the idea though.

Another great guide from Persianimortal

It's better and safer if you keep you operating system on a separate partition from you other data and programs as if ya screw the os up you only have to format that partition and ya other stuff is still safely stored. ;)
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Quote Originally Posted by dougbrad81
    good guide. but how come i cannot open gpedit.msc?
    Probably because you're running XP Home. I mention at the end of the Group Editor section that the feature is not available for XP Home (Pro only) and you should use other tools in the guide to change the same settings.

Quote Originally Posted by mtb1bkr
    I am attempting to format my harddrive and then reinstall Win xp. Prior to Win xp, I was running 98 se with a second partition. Now, I can't figure out how to delete the partition and then make the entire harddrive into one partition. I have it down to one partition and the remainder is unpartitioned space, but when attempting to delete the primary partition so I can merge the two, I get the message cannot delete this partition b/c it has temporary setup files needed for install
    It's been a while since I reformatted and partitioned my drive and I don't have a spare drive to go through it and tell you the steps. But reformat the drive again and try to install one large partition. There is a way to do it, sorry I can't give specifics.

As for 2 partitions - well I usually find that most drive failures are physical faults and hence you lose all partitions anyway. Best not to rely on a single hard drive to hold your important backups. In my opinion it's much better to have 1 large partition with OS and everything, and back up your vital files regularly to CD.

[b]On a different note, I have used most of the tweaks in this guide on my work computer, running Win NT 4.0, and it has worked wonders for the computer, my network administrator doesn't like the idea though.
    Your Network Administrator is correct. Some of the tweaks I provide turn off functionality which is necessary for Networked computers and in general I disable things like Remote Assistance etc. which Netadmins need to help you in case of problems.

The guide is primarily for home computers running games and standalone apps and connecting to the internet from one machine.

Try reasoning with the admin about applying the safer tweaks, such as those which make optimal use of memory and speed up hard drive access and the like. They should be safe to use on any computer.

Quote Originally Posted by PersianImmortal

It's been a while since I reformatted and partitioned my drive and I don't have a spare drive to go through it and tell you the steps. But reformat the drive again and try to install one large partition. There is a way to do it, sorry I can't give specifics.

As for 2 partitions - well I usually find that most drive failures are physical faults and hence you lose all partitions anyway. Best not to rely on a single hard drive to hold your important backups. In my opinion it's much better to have 1 large partition with OS and everything, and back up your vital files regularly to CD.

Your Network Administrator is correct. Some of the tweaks I provide turn off functionality which is necessary for Networked computers and in general I disable things like Remote Assistance etc. which Netadmins need to help you in case of problems.

The guide is primarily for home computers running games and standalone apps and connecting to the internet from one machine.

Try reasoning with the admin about applying the safer tweaks, such as those which make optimal use of memory and speed up hard drive access and the like. They should be safe to use on any computer.
    I tried numerous methods for making one partition, and the system just wouldn't allow it, so I did it the hard way. I used an old Win 98 startup disk, and then used the fdisk program to wipe out both partitions and format one big one, of course I had to install win 98 again then go through and completely install Win xp, but I'm on one partition again.

As for the administrator, I didn't disable any services she needs, she doesn't really know a whole lot about what she does and doesn't need anyways, she's just scared that I will mess up the computer, in which case I'll fix it myself like normal. I do a majority on the administrator work for our company, b/c she doesn't know enough about it to do the job right.

Quote Originally Posted by [size=6
    PersianImmortal[/size]]
    Who was talking about hard drive failures? :?:
    I was talkin' about things that royally screw up the os so far that the only fix is a format and reinstallation while keeping important files and data safe. This happens more often than hard drive failures. :smokin:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread Information