Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: WinXP Tweaking Guides

Great guide, but I had a rather strange experience after using it in a rather haphazard way (without reformatting). I'd already found some of those tweaks in other places but I went through and did most of the others. Then before I restarted the machine I decided to print the article out. Got to page 14 on 16 and the printer stopped as thoughit was finished. Strange.

Tried to print again and was told I had no printer. Went into control panel and tried to add the printer back in, but got error message saying the function was not possible. The add printer option wasn't working.

I've had too many stuff ups in the past to get rid of system restore so I just time travelled to yesterday and everything was ok. Haven't had the time to try aagain.

Any thoughts?

Pierre47 - sounds very odd. The only printer-related setting I can think of in the guide is the Print Spooler service - turn that back on to Automatic and see if it still happens again. Otherwise no tweaks or settings i give disabled devices.

Wiggo - I'm one of those people that doesn't recommend reinstalls of an OS unless absolutely necessary. You lose too many settings and it's such hard work bringing the baby back up to speed again. One of the reasons for this guide was to put all the tweaks in one source to speed up that process after a reinstall. However to each their own I guess - I prefer and recommend 1 partition.

mtb1bkr - Sadly yes a lot of sysadmins are fairly clueless about optimal software settings and live in perpetual fear of users changing settings. You sound like you know exactly what you're doing so tell her not to badmouth my tweaks :)

hi,
    i had to reinstall win xp recently. i'm trying to figure a registry tweak that allow me to right click an application and select an option to launch it in high priority. anyone knows what the setting was?

mtb1bkr - Sadly yes a lot of sysadmins are fairly clueless about optimal software settings and live in perpetual fear of users changing settings. You sound like you know exactly what you're doing so tell her not to badmouth my tweaks :) [/B][/QUOTE]

I'm all over it. The only problem I'm having now is, everyone else I work with wants me to come optimize their systems, sounds like time for a pay raise:laugh:

mtb1bkr - now you have some idea how i feel :) I'm actually an Economist not a computer techie and in every office I work in I eventually become the defacto help desk/troubleshooter. I have to say though, I do get a kick out of helping people.

dougbrad81 - the only way I know to set priorities (outside of IRQs) is to press CTRL-ALT-DEL, select the Processes tab, right click on the process/application you want to prioritise and choose "Set Priority">[priority level]. If you find that registry tweak let me know for future guide updates.

I've edited the guide recently to change a couple of the service recommendations (Print Spooling being one) and one Group Policy recommendation (Remove My Documents from desktop - apparently has some strange side-effects).

Keep the guide bookmarked and check in every once in a while as I add to it and tune it further.

So far it seems the majority of people aren't having any problems with it though :)

Beefy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by PersianImmortal
    mtb1bkr - Sadly yes a lot of sysadmins are fairly clueless about optimal software settings and live in perpetual fear of users changing settings. You sound like you know exactly what you're doing so tell her not to badmouth my tweaks :)
    I take offense to that. :)

Yeah, there are a lot of clueless sys admins out there, but from the user's point of view, some sys admins may look clueless, but in fact they either don't have time to perform minor tweaks which aren't necessary or they don't have the chance to sit down and tweak everything.

With the 80+ computers I'm in charge of here, if they are working then I'm happy. I'm not gonna sit down and patch this and tweak that, just so the users can get that little bit more speed out of them. It's not worth my time / effort to do it.

And yeah, there is always that fear of users playing around with settings. A lot of people will know what they are doing, and that's ok. But then there's the ones that think they know what they are doing, but actually haven't got the first idea about things. They are the ones that screw things up for everyone and create more unnecessary work. so unless a sys admin knows exactly what you are capable of, not what you think you are capable of, then they will be pretty strict as to what you can do.

Just my $.02 :)

Yes, the clueless ones always defend themselves the most :D

Just kidding...I guess I've just had bad experiences with them. I don't work in an IT job, so I'm forever having to prove to sys admins that I know almost as much as they do (if not more) about software settings and how PCs work.

Unfortunately I regularly have to deal with those people you talk about Beefy - the ones who genuinely believe they know what they're doing. When they stuff up, instead of going to the techies they come quietly to me and ask me to fix up their mess :)

Well how else are they supposed to learn:?:
    You don't really expect them to fiddle with the PC they have at home ....... do you?:laugh:
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Mr. C They have tried it on the one at home & it no longer runs. Then they go to work & practice some more.

Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread Information