Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: WinXP Tweaking Guides

Go into the Processes tab in Task Manager and see which processes are running and how much memory they're taking up. That'll show you if anything is running "secretly". I'm fairly certain my tweaks are not the cause...something else is sucking up your free memory.

I applied most of the tweaks from the guide. I skipped some changes for easthethic reasons. Other, like running AV programs or Window Messenger I left for the case of being online or online gaming. Which means, I could make the system more "lean and mean".

I had no problems installing the tweaks (or almost none :) , thanks again PersianImmortal) and the result was an increase from ca 8100 to 8700 3dmark scores. Look also http://forums.tweaktown.com/showthre...&threadid=3967 thread

Result was definitely worth the effort :thumb:
    System:
    Gigabyte GA 7VRXP
    Athlon XP 2000+
    256 MB 266DDR RAM
    MSI GeForce 4 4400 TI
    Maxtor 80GB HDD ATA 133
    Soundblaster Live!

It definately makes a difference in the 3DMark2001SE scores. It was a surprise to me how much difference it made.

Ditto. Those processes running in the background use the processor when you don't realize it. After using the guide and stopping as many processes as possible, my scores have definately improved. Thanks PI.

It was interesting. No unnecessary processes were running, but the ones that were, were using more memory than they should. Like twice the amount. Funny thing -I loaded and ran a game for a minute, and after shutting down the game, I had a huge increase in available memory. I checked the processes, and the same ones were running, but with less memory.
    Moot point anyways -went to buy another 256K, and ended up with an entire computer. Now I have cooling probs!

But cooling is usually a solvable dilemma.

I loved the guide good compilation of info just wish there was a more printer friendly version :

And on a cool site, i agree with most of it, ive seen some tips on other places and done the tips and can tell the diffents, only tip i would say is try a memory recovery program like mem turbo, it sime the best one ive tried and sime to work well. I got 512 here but i like to muti task so that can soon drop, when doing stuff like dv editing or games etc and even after booting i gain 20-30 meg of ram before i even start runing any desktop programs, but as i said u done a super job i found this forum by accident but will be comimg back and ask my members to sign up to this super forum.
    :D :afro: :thumb:
    ps any one know were i can get some of your cool smileys from i got farly basic ones but yours rock. :wave:
    please sign up @ my forum
    http://www.wwwwol-forum.com/
    thank you so much

wings: Have you two considered marriage...thank you both that was constructive and helpful. Hey, PersianImmortal...Great guide!

Wood:thumb:

Thanks for the kind words and feel free to ask as many XP tweaking questions as you like on this forum - that's what it's here for! Especially if you want something clarified...go ahead and post it here or email me.

PS - I'm not marrying aznx...he's all yours :)

Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread Information