Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: WinXP Tweaking Guides

I worked my way through the guide and did everything it said... I even turned off System Restore.... ooops... well, I downloaded and installed sp1 and all I got was a "welcome" splash screen that told me there's a problem verifying my activation. I admit I never paid for my xp-pro version and initially when I tried to get sp1, the website said I had an invalid product id... stubborn as I am I managed to get a valid id (via a crack) and it let me download... that's what I get for thinking I'm smater than the guys at Microsoft. In my defense, the only reason I have an "invalid" install of winxp-pro is cuz the guys who built my machine didn't have the xp-home ed. I ordered... they tied with over with pro while I waited for the home version that came a week later... I never saw any reason to switch. I've learned my lesson now... I had no idea sp1 was so picky about requiring "activated" pc's on which to install itself. I managed to go into safe mode and get "system restore" turned back on but all the restore points were gone... I was in a real pickle. I installed xp-home over top of the now corrupted xp-pro install but for the life of me I can't figure out how to make a boot disc or how to format the c: drive for that matter because I really want to do a fresh install of xp-home... there's still like 10 gigs of crap from the old install on there... I just want to start over with xp-home, from scratch. This time with a little more respect for the guys at Microsoft.... just thought I'd share my lesson. If anyone has some advice about how to format so I can do a fresh install, please let me know.... thanks..

p.s. the guide is of course well written... but I mean you gotta be damn good with computers to feel confident enough to turn off system restore.... I certainly can't recommend doing that!

Sorry to hear about your troubles. The guide doesn't recommend turning off System Restore outright...I do suggest it's for those who feel confident with their system, and of course installing SP1 on a "non-standard" copy of XP is clearly risky and not covered in the guide.

Anyway, to do a clean reformat and reinstall:

1. Insert your WinXP CD into the main CDROM drive.
    2. Go into your BIOS and select CDROM as your "First Boot Device" - basically you want to boot from CDROM. Reboot.
    3. As Windows is rebooting and starts to boot from CDROM, start pressing F8 (Function 8) several times. This will bring up a menu from which you can choose to Setup WinXP.
    4. From there you can delete your current partition(s) and reformat and create a new partition, then install XP. The options on the menu screens will be fairly clear. Make sure you delete the partition and totally reformat your drive for best results.

No troubles, really... actually, I'm relieved this has happened. Mainly because I have learned a lot about the XP operating system... knowing how to re-format to start over is a really good thing to know and this time around I'll be using my legitimate operating system. Thank you so much, P.I., for your reply. Now that I have had sleep I might have thought that that's how I must go about doing it but I would never have known about the F8 key. While I still have internet access etc. on this install of winXP I'm going to d/l all the lastest version of drivers I need and burn them onto cd-r before I format. I assumed there was some sort of "registration" involved with winXP but I knew absolutely nothing about this "activation" procedure... had I known about this I would have swapped out the xp-pro install that was originally put on my machine for my "convenience" due to the one I ordered not being available on the time of pickup. Live and learn. I've learned a lot and thank you for bailing me out of deep doo-doo (real frustration) with your solution. :cheers:

Quote Originally Posted by PersianImmortal
    The guide is not really designed for networks, and it turns off several network-required services and functions.
    One correction...
    The URL for Ad-Aware is www.lavasoft.de, not www.lavasoft.nu

One request...
    Can you detail in a single place (either message board post or as an addendum to the article) the tweaks that perhaps should NOT be used on a networked PC?

I will soon be getting cable internet access installed at home and will be networking several PCs together to share the connection via a cable/DSL router. Are there any security concerns related to the tweaks or other Windows settings that I should be aware of?

Thank you for all the hard work!

Both URLs work for Lavasoft.

The tweaks that should not be used on a Network PC (as far as I'm aware) are:

Page 3, Folder Options:

"Automatically search for network folders and printers" - should be ticked for Networked PCs

Page 6, System:

Give your computer a name to distinguish it from others in a Network.

You might want to enable the Remote functions as well.

Page 7, Services:

Very important that you read the linked Services Guide and follow their recommendations for a Networked PC. From my understanding, the following services need to be Automatic for a Network to work:

Network DDE
    Network DDE DSM
    Routing and Remote Access

If in doubt, or having problems, read the Blackviper Guide I've linked. Services can have a big effect on Network function.

Hey Persian.....

Your guide gets a big :thumb: :thumb: 's up... It is really nice for me being an avid tweaker (Of Computers) to have everything in one reference. Before this every time I would reformat I would forget to do important things that I was planning to do every time... Before reformating my hard drive and applying your tweaks I was getting startup times of about 3 minutes on my XP 1900+, and now my startup times are inbetween 15 to 20 seconds.. Good Job!!!

I have a few questions for yea...

1) Since I reformatted my system and applyed all of the tweaks which I felt suited me I have not been able to use the Remote access utility that is built into XP to access my PC... Just curious if there is somthing in msconfig or somthing that has to be running for me to connect to my pc at home (The one I need to connect to at home is the one that is tweaked)? It was working fine before I formatted and I have gone through all of my new user settings to make sure I have the remote desktop feature turned on...

2) What antivirus program would you reccomend? I use Norton but I assume that it is very bloated.. I also like to use a prog like system suite 4.0 for a firewall prog and such.. Does this prog signifigantly slow down my system? It has an antivirus prog too that I have disabled since I am running norton.

Thanks alot for the help!!!! Again, job well done!!! :cheers:

Glad you liked the guide!

As for your questions, for remote access make sure you haven't disabled any of the services remote access relies on (see my previous post in this thread).

I personally use Norton Antivirus 2003. However I never leave any antivirus/antitrojan program running in the background. I only undertake weekly or bi-weekly full scans for which Nortons is perfect.

People will argue with me on this, but most viruses are not so horrendous as to warrant having a program running in the background which reduces my system performance (by scanning every read/write to disk), can cause conflicts with programs and is not recommended for use during program installations.

In the last two years I've only found 2 virii and I don't surf only safe sites and I do use kazaa. My advice to you is to weigh up the risks and I recommend disabling any background virus scanners and undertaking regular full scans instead.

Thanks Persian!!! The only thing is that I can not seem to find is any past post relating to remote desktop..

Also..... What services does remote desktop rely on??

:smokin:

The post I was referring to is 4 posts up from this. Basically all the services with "Remote" in front of them should be enabled (set to Automatic) for Remote Desktop to work. There may be more, so check that link I have to the Services Guide (just below my service recommendations in my guide) if you need more details :)

hehe i think persianimmortal doesnt like the letter z as he replaces them all with s's were applicable
    LOL

oh and btw great guide its nice to have one guide to look thru for tweaks instead of 5 or 6 now

Page 8 of 21 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread Information