Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: WinXP Tweaking Guides

That's just the difference between English US and English UK (which most other English speaking countries use including Australia). ;)
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Yep, just like favorite vs favourite, color vs colour, defence vs defense etc.

I notice now that I americanize (<-------note the z!) my guides because I'm just so tired of getting emails where the one error the guy's picked up is that I said "Optimise" (correct for Australia) as opposed to Optimize :)

Send me those emails and I word them all a truely Australian reply. :devil:
    <small>some ppl live in such a small world they just don't realise how rude they can be</small>

I asked ia seperate thread n noones answering so now i ask here...

How the **** do i change the IRQ's in win XP??? in your tweak guide you say something like "make shure that all your major hardware is on different irq's" and that's obvious.. but you dont say anything about how to do this....

BTW...
    I dont want to just sound pissed... its a great guide...

First of all, the main thing is make sure that you donít have any major devices sharing an IRQ with each other. So if you have a graphics card and sound card on one IRQ, youíll likely have problems. However you canít reassign IRQs at will, and it can be quite complex, so I didnít get into it in detail or Iíd have taken up an extra half-page right there. Iíll try to add a quick explanation in the guide to resolve any ambiguity.

In the meanwhile, the main ways of changing an IRQ are to physically move the device where possible (e.g. switch PCI slots for a sound card). The other way is to manually assign them in the BIOS. Different BIOS have slightly different options for this (see the BIOS guide I link to in my system optimization guide for details) but there are ways you can force certain devices onto an IRQ, or better yet turn off unnecessary/unused devices (e.g. COM1, COM2, Parallel ports) to free up IRQs then select the option to reassign devices.

Bottom line is for some reason your system might insist on two components sharing an IRQ no matter how much you shift things around (or if you donít physically move them). This is a problem and the whole IRQ thing is a bit silly if you ask me Ė why are there so few of them (around 15 I think) for example.

I updated page 6 of the Guide with some tips on how to move IRQs (basically stuff like what's in the above post). At least it's less ambiguous now. The one thing I don't recommend is uninstalling ACPI. Aside from the fact that it rarely if ever gives a performance boost, the only way you can re-enable/reinstall it is with a full reinstall of Windows. Not worth it.

Thanx... I really hope it'll help..

but just to know in advance.. where's the "reassign devices" option???

The "reassign devices" option is in the BIOS. It's usually called something like "Reset Configuration Data" or something similar. It just means that if you add/remove or move hardware you need to use this option to reassign resources accordingly. There's a good chance it will reassign IRQs.

I was just curios

In the regedit section of the guide are the values suppose to be in hexidecimal or decimal. In some places it says to change the default value of 0 to a 1 and by default its set to hexidecimal. I'm wondering if some of them or all of them are suppose to be decimal?

For each registry tweak it mentions what you need to set it to in whatever mode (Hex or Decimal) it was in when you opened it.

So for example with the "DisablePagingExecutive" tweak, it says set it to 1, which means open the registry entry and change the existing value from 0 to 1. That happens to be Hex in this case, but you shouldn't have to change the mode unless specifically mentioned.

Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread Information