Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Win Me Start Up Error Message...invalid File Setting In Msdo

I have win me installed (oem) for my pc. for lat couple of days whenever i start the pc i get an error string invalid file setting in msdos.sys ublebuffer=2 and after that i get atleast 30-40 lines of strange characters with beeps and then finally the os loads.
    i checked for viruse, i tried the winme recovery and i also tried using twekui. everytime i tried twekaui i got message you need to restart the pc to proceed further. i did full system hard disk scan (thorough)(the result..no error on the hard disk) . i was getting erro message in msn messanger as well when this problem started so i uninstalled the msn messanger.

any suggestions?

Have you installed any other programs or updated drivers recently plus how long have this installation of ME been on your PC? :?:

this os has been on my pc for last 2 years...inbetween twice i had to reload it using the recovery cd. it is oem installed and i have been installing all the winme regular updates. the recent update i installed was again from microsoft ..the win media player update.

then i had recently installed the latest version of real player too.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiggo
    Have you installed any other programs or updated drivers recently plus how long have this installation of ME been on your PC? :?:

It just may be then that you need to do a clean install of it as it would be carryin' plenty of excess weight around now which just maybe your problem. :(

open DOS prompt.. navigate to c:\

attrib -r -h -s msdos.sys

edit msdos.sys

look for a line that says DoubleBuffer=2

change it to DoubleBuffer=0 unless you are using SCSI drives. If the line doesn't read DoubleBuffer=2 but actually is mis-spelled that will give the error message you see as well. so if you have a line that says "oubleBuffer=2" or something similar change it to DoubleBuffer=0

save the file..

then do an:

attrib +r +h +s msdos.sys

from the command prompt. exit and reboot. or if you can't get into windows you can do the same from an emergency boot disk but you may have to add C:\windows\command\ to you path.

Quote Originally Posted by Wiggo
    It just may be then that you need to do a clean install of it as it would be carryin' plenty of excess weight around now which just maybe your problem. :(
    DEAR WIGGO,
    DO U MEAN UNINSTALL FULL OS AND REINSTALL?
    THERE MUST BE SOME BETTER WAY OF DOING IT...
    BUT WINME DOES NOT HAVE REPAIR FEATURE.

DEAR DDD..
    THANKS FOR THE SUGGESTION. IN FACT I TRIED OUT THIS ONE.
    DOES NOT WORK,

ANYTHING ELSE U WANT ME TO TRY OUT?

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalDD
    open DOS prompt.. navigate to c:\

attrib -r -h -s msdos.sys

edit msdos.sys

look for a line that says DoubleBuffer=2

change it to DoubleBuffer=0 unless you are using SCSI drives. If the line doesn't read DoubleBuffer=2 but actually is mis-spelled that will give the error message you see as well. so if you have a line that says "oubleBuffer=2" or something similar change it to DoubleBuffer=0

save the file..

then do an:

attrib +r +h +s msdos.sys

from the command prompt. exit and reboot. or if you can't get into windows you can do the same from an emergency boot disk but you may have to add C:\windows\command\ to you path.

Yes that's what I mean as a Win9x os (which ME is) will normally require this every 12- 18 months usually as in that time will pick up lots of useless .dll's and the registery will wind up with a lot of useless entries. You could try something like Norton's Win Doctor and see if that will fix it but sooner or later you'll have a system that will have to be reloaded. :smokin:

Quote Originally Posted by rakesh
    DEAR DDD..
    THANKS FOR THE SUGGESTION. IN FACT I TRIED OUT THIS ONE.
    DOES NOT WORK,

ANYTHING ELSE U WANT ME TO TRY OUT?
    i assume you've tried booting from a windows boot disk and typeing:

SYS C:

which would replace the system files on C:

Thread Information