Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Limiting Use of Shared Folders

How can I limit the use of the shared folders in my computer to those people on the network whom i select. I am at a large univesity and we used to use Windows 98 and I simply gave my friends the password to my shared folders, now I want the same circle of people to be able to use my shared resources, but would rather not have everyone in the university accessing my computer.

How can I do this or where can I find a guide for people with 98 networking experience who need to learn XP?
    <Font size=2>"The demand to restrict technology is the demand to restrict man's mind" -- Ayn Rand
    <a style="text-decoration: none" href="http://www.whiteglovecollection.com/cord">
    <font color=blue><font face="Century Gothic" size="6">My Web Site</a></font>

Just setup user accounts for those folders usin' the same user name and password as ya did with 98. I'll see if I can locate a guide as well. ;)
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Win98 uses crappy network acess methods. only the NT kernel offers user-level acess to your shares. So if your sharing something on a 98 box, you cant restrict the resource(s) to specific people.

On the 2k/XP box you can share and give permissions to users & groups you specify. The only guide I can reccomend is this one:

Format C:
    Install Win2k/XP.

Since you already have, it should be easy enough for you to pickup. The best guides actually come with Windows Help.

Corduroy

I don't know what sort of data you plan on sharing across the network with your friend's but like the other guys said that the move to 2000/XP would definitely accomplish all that you wish to do in terms of configuring permissions, policies and rights on folders.

At the moment I am working with Win 2000 AS and I have to say that its awesome when it comes to networking that if you want something done then AS2000 will most likely do it for you.

In regards to learning networking when it comes to OS's that utilise the NT kernal it would also be a good idea to go to your uni library and check the computing section. You'll be surprised in what you'll find there as I did.... :p
    Without my other half in my life, where would I be - Absolutely nowhere

CASE: Antec Plusview 1000AMG || PSU: Antec TrueBlue 480 Watt || HSF: ThermalTake Copper Spark7+ || CPU: Intel Pentium 4 3Ghz (800Mhz) running @ 3.5Ghz || MOBO: Abit IC7-G (BIOS Rev: 16) || RAM: Corsair TWINX 512MB DDR (PC3200) || VIDEO: Asus V8420 GeForce4 Ti4200 128MB || SOUND: Creative Audigy 2 Platinum || HDD: x2 Seagate Barracuda Serial V 120GB (RAID 0) || CD: Pioneer 16x40x 106S Slot DVD / LiteOn 52x24x52 CD-RW || OS: Windows XP Professional SP1

Thread Information