Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speed up your DELL XP Box. DellMMKB.

I noticed my new Dell 4400 1.6mhz P4 beast was running like a damn 386 with 4megs of Ram.

For instance, I would start up MS Word, and it would take 60 seconds before I could even start typing.

Curious, I did a Ctrl-Alt-Del and looked at what processes were running. Normally when a computer is just sitting there, doing nothing, you expect the system idle process to be taking 98 percent of the time. However, it wasn't. Instead there was this little process called DellMMKB taking up 98 percent of the CPU time. Weird.

So I killed it.

Now Everything Works Great. Programs start up fast, I can type in Word. Life is good.

I've tried doing seaches on the internet and Dell's help pages, but cannot find anymore info. Until I do, this program is dead to me.

(I also used Start-->Run--->MSConfig to turn it off permanantly.)

Have fun.

-StrangeBrew, master of the Timex-Sinclair 1000.

hmm, something to do with keyboard maybe? dunno..shrugs..

DellMultiMediaKeyBoard perhaps?

Who knows. Its a Dell.

Quote Originally Posted by Bahamut Zer0
    DellMultiMediaKeyBoard perhaps?

Who knows. Its a Dell.
    Good call. Now that I disabled that, the ghey little multimedia keys on the keyboard don't work.

Ohhh big loss. :rolleyes:

You now know what must be done.

keyboard modding.

rip those keys out and stick something useful in there. Ive seen ashtrays in keyboards, if youre a smoker you might wanna invest some time in that....

pencil sharpener....your pencils can never be sharp enough im told....

Who uses pencils anymore?

Try re-installing the keyboard app, and the features will come back... Just make sure no buttons are stuck down. Thats most likely the cause of the problem. And of course you can re-download the software for your keyboard at Dell.com

Dell rules. Keyboard buttons rule. (mainly just volume knob and mute button)
    "In their capacity as a tool, computers will be but a ripple on the surface of our culture. In their capacity as intellectual challenge, they are without precedent in the cultural history of mankind." - Edsger Dijkstra

hmm..i dont install the compaq stuff and my volume/mute works..haha

:hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

Turn your keyboard upside down & shake it. Sure you didn't spill some brew on it?

Quote Originally Posted by Bahamut Zer0
    Ive seen ashtrays in keyboards, if youre a smoker you might wanna invest some time in that....

pencil sharpener....your pencils can never be sharp enough im told....
    At times my keyboard looks like an ashtray?!

An M&M dish sounds like a nice mod.
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

hmm..i dont install the compaq stuff and my volume/mute works..haha
    Yup, Thanks to the incredible brilliance of Microsoft, Windows XP is designed to automatically recognize the standard features of keyboards.
    "In their capacity as a tool, computers will be but a ripple on the surface of our culture. In their capacity as intellectual challenge, they are without precedent in the cultural history of mankind." - Edsger Dijkstra

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information