Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Server 2008 R2 help

Default Server 2008 R2 help

I'm trying to upgrade my small office from a workgroup (peer to peer) to a domain. I purchased MS Server 2008 R2 x64 and built a machine. I installed server no problem, runs cool and quick. I created a domain. I then added AD DS (active dir) and DNS rolls. Gave the machine its own static ip addy and implemented a few security measures related to AD DS. All seemed to go fine. So when I try and join a machine to the domain I created, I get a DNS error message. When I look back on the server I see a bunch of errors on the DNS server which I don't understand.

are just two. Any idea what I'm missing?

Thanks TJ

Default Re: Server 2008 R2 help

Did you create a DNS and DHCP server properly on your primary active Directory server? Windows 2003 and 2008 require a proper DNS server with SOA entries. You need to create a reverse DNS lookup inside DNS for proper resolution.

The only rolls I have installed are AD DS and DNS. The DNS install got some errors because I forgot to set a static ip addy before hand. This isn't an internet server, just for local office work so I don't need DHCP right?

I am able to connect a client to the domain now. But I still have those DNS errors on the server. Should I uninstall / reinstall the DNS server?

Hard to say what is missing. I would change to static IPs for all servers. Make sure SOA and reverse DNS is configured properly for all servers. Static IP will allow all workstations and servers to resolve properly. Make sure your forwards to your ISP DNS is set properly. Without working DNS, AD and other services can have issues.

DHCP is used to set address to workstations in your network. I usually let a server set them so AD knows about them properly. I don't rely on a router to set DHCP addressing except for wireless users who only can go to external internet sites and don't have access to the trusted network.

Thanks for the tip on DHCP. Could you please tell me the correct way to make sure the SOA and reverse DNS are configured properly?

First set the static IP address and reboot.

Go into DNS and verify you have DNS subnets configured properly

Forward DNS needs your domain setup

Forward DNS
    xyz.com
    xyz.loc
    Server Host(A) 192.168.10.2

Reverse DNS
    192.168.10.x Subnet
    Server.xyz.loc Pointer 192.168.10.2

You should also see under forward DNS
    _tcp
    _udp

You should see a Start of Authority record with your DNS server name listed next to it at the top of the DNS entries.

You can test your DNS server with nslookup from a workstation.

cmd prompt
    nslookup

It should return your DNS server name and IP. You can then type www.nasa.gov and see if it resolves. Then, your server name and see if it resolves.

Make sure you check the box on each workstation setup to use DNS

Register this connections adddress with DNS.

Thank you !!

Forward looks good, no entries at all in reverse lookup zones. Do I add, and create a primary zone?

You create a reverse DNS zone that matches your subnets. Each subnet requires its own reverse DNS zone.

Thanks alot !! Trying :)

DNS can be a pain to get working correctly.

Thread Information