Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: How unable user to reinstall/uninstall previously installed applications in WinXP

Default How unable user to reinstall/uninstall previously installed applications in WinXP

Hi guys,

I'm doing a clean setup of XP in my uncle's computer and I would like to know if there is a way to unable a XP user to uninstall/reinstall any application that had already been previously installed, and at the same time, to enable him to install any other application that isn't already installed.
    Is there any application or XP group policy option(s) that could help me on this?

Thank you in advance.

Kind regards,
    sKeLeTiKo

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: How unable user to reinstall/uninstall previously installed applications in WinXP

I am not sure about that, hopefully someone with better XP Skills than myself can stop in and help you with this.

I do think you can disallow a user to have access to uninstalling programs, but not sure if you can at the same time allow new installs though. That is what you mean basically right?

Default Re: How unable user to reinstall/uninstall previously installed applications in WinXP

Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    I do think you can disallow a user to have access to uninstalling programs, but not sure if you can at the same time allow new installs though. That is what you mean basically right?
    Well, I think that you can unable a user to access the Add/Remove Programs form, but what I need is more than that.. besides the fact that the user shouldn't uninstall or reinstall anything that it is already installed...the user should be able to install any other application that isn't already installed in the system (the latter thing is the one that I think that should be more difficult to do... because, when you disallow a user to install/uninstall/reinstall I think that it is for everything... I think that there isn't any possibility to create exceptions ) .

Thank you for your reply.

Kind regards,
    SkElEtIkO

So, in a simpler format, what are you trying to stop users from doing? Can you give an example or two?

I'm not too clear on what the point would be any way. If you are trying to stop a "special needs" uncle from causing issues with the operating system and other important programs I would think the first step would be to disable the ability to install potentially harmful software. I've seen far more damage done by adding crap than by disabling it. You might be able to set the thing up so that it starts in a virtual operating system or sandbox mode. It might just be simpler to create a complete backup of the drive once you have it set up and reimage it as needed.

Depending on how tech savy your uncle is simply removing shortcuts to "add/remove programs" in the control panel as well as the "remove program" shortcuts in the program folder may work for awhile.

Keep in mind that it is your uncles computer and assuming that he is of sound mind he has a right to do whatever he likes with it even if it annoys you. I have adult children who constantly find ways to bugger up their computers and it is up to me if I choose to repair the damage or send them to someone else. They are free to do whatever they choose to their own machines even if it pis*es me off.
    Last edited by PrairieDawg; 12-08-2009 at 12:49 AM.
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieDawg View Post
    I'm not too clear on what the point would be any way. If you are trying to stop a "special needs" uncle from causing issues with the operating system and other important programs I would think the first step would be to disable the ability to install potentially harmful software. I've seen far more damage done by adding crap than by disabling it. You might be able to set the thing up so that it starts in a virtual operating system or sandbox mode. It might just be simpler to create a complete backup of the drive once you have it set up and reimage it as needed.

Depending on how tech savy your uncle is simply removing shortcuts to "add/remove programs" in the control panel as well as the "remove program" shortcuts in the program folder may work for awhile.

Keep in mind that it is your uncles computer and assuming that he is of sound mind he has a right to do whatever he likes with it even if it annoys you. I have adult children who constantly find ways to bugger up their computers and it is up to me if I choose to repair the damage or send them to someone else. They are free to do whatever they choose to their own machines even if it pis*es me off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lsdmeasap View Post
    So, in a simpler format, what are you trying to stop users from doing? Can you give an example or two?
    Well I wanna do all this, since I've reinstalled a lot of times in this computer due to the fact that, for example, whenever there is a minor problem with the printer (for instance, with the scanning function) my uncle insists in reinstall the printer's drivers... and, of course, after some reinstallations, that will probably lead to some malfunction...

But I also understand what PrairieDawg said before about the fact that my uncle is the owner of the computer, and this way he could do whatever he wants with it... and that's why I was wondering if there was a way to block the installation of what was already installed (that I consider as the "vital" applications and files), leaving him the opportunity to setup any other things that he wants.

The last time, my uncle just started doing several system restores and reverting some of them, until he damaged a vital windows file that wouldn't allow it to boot... and once again..here I am to do a fresh setup ...

Well, the system restore, I think I would solve by removing the shortcut, however..my main problem, is the drivers for the printer, since he doesn't setup them up through the add/remove panel, but through HP's setup cd......

I think I'm going to do a disk image after system's full installation ... it's the simplest thing..

Thank you all for your help.

Kind regards,
    SkElEtIkO

Well you can block installs, but I do not think it is possible to block installs or reinstalls of something that is already installed as it would also then block repairs or uninstalls as well.

You can either block or not, I do not think you can specify like you are asking, I could be wrong though. Have you asked at a Microsoft forum, they may know best?

Take away that CD if you can, then he wont be able to reinstall it. A reinstall would not mess anything up really, only restore defaults which of course if you are changing them that would mess up your changes. I do see what you mean, but I don't think you can limit him like that without limiting everything else.

I agree, make a clean image of what you give back to him, then when it is messed up tell him he will loose all new documents, mail, images, ect when he gives it back to you to fix it and it will be back to the exact same as when you gave it to him. I know that may not sound nice, but just let him know it is either that or pay you to take the time to backup his new files and then re-image.

Thread Information