Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Win 7 really pissing me off! Log in/out issues?

Default Win 7 really pissing me off! Log in/out issues?

I have searched high and low for the settings that will allow my forum usernames and passwords to be saved. I am sure it has something to do with cookies but I have no where left to look.

Windows 7 logs me out of forums every few days and I am getting sick of logging back in.

OK Windows gurus, where is the magic setting that will keep me logged into all of my forums?

Default Re: Win 7 really pissing me off! Log in/out issues?

:S...

isnt that ment to be done in the browser settings? Not win 7 settings.
    When u first log in with a username/password, it should giv some sort of option to retain usernames and passwords. Make sure remember me is checked when u sign in.
    Asrock P55-Extreme
    Core I5 @ 3.2GHZ
    2x2GB G.skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600
    ASUS HD5850
    1TB Samsung SATA II
    Corsair TX650W PSU

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Ya, it is the "Remember Me" box that you need to check when signing in, but I am sure you are aware of that already right? If not, let us know and we can show you the way

A lot of new forums, that are up to date, use a new type of Cookie called a stronghold cookie. IPB based forums use this type of cookie for sure, I have one and make skins in it, not sure about other forum types but likely similar is now being implemented with all types of forums as updates are rolled out.

What this does, is if you login on one PC and then another, it will sign you out of the first one by breaking the stronghold cookie since you used a second machine. This of course also applies to the same machine when various IP's are used, so if you do not have a static IP, but always use the same machine this is likely the cause due to the dynamic IP being different each time you open the webpage.

Some sites may also set their cookie to expire after so many days, but this is rare on a forum. What browser are you using, and do you have "Keep Until They Expire" set for your cookie settings?

Also this might be a problem if you use a proxy server or 3rd party software to clear your browsing history like CCleaner.

It is not the Remember Me thing, I know about that one. It also isn't just a few sites, it is everything, EBay, Facebook, all forums...if it has a user name and password then it gets forgotten all at the same time. The real pisser is that it can just happen, no log out or shut down required. I could be surfing a forum, click on a link and on the next page be logged out.

It seems to happen every three days or so. Next time I will record when it happens and time it.

Sounds like your router or ISP is reassigning a new IP to you on a set interval. Did you enable any features like that in your router?

Thread Information