Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XP, NTFS, and FAT32

Ok, now I know XP can recognize and use drives that are set up with FAT32, but what about extended use? Are there ANY complications involved when an NFTS drive with XP OS running with a FAT32 drive somehwere else in the system?

How about speed, If I have a FAT32 drive on the same IDE chain as the primary master, can I still enable DMA, and transfer files between the two at top speed?

Has anyone heard of any complications of using a FAT32 drive for an extended period of time within XP. Will it act any differently than a drive that IS NTFS?

Don't ask why I want to do this... its a long story... I'll explain more later.
    "In their capacity as a tool, computers will be but a ripple on the surface of our culture. In their capacity as intellectual challenge, they are without precedent in the cultural history of mankind." - Edsger Dijkstra

Hey, I just had another thought. Can NTFS be used with 98se as long as it is on a secondary drive???

Same questions, Do file transfers and everything work fine?
    "In their capacity as a tool, computers will be but a ripple on the surface of our culture. In their capacity as intellectual challenge, they are without precedent in the cultural history of mankind." - Edsger Dijkstra

no ntfs cannot be used under win98se

shouldn't have any implications..transfer on ntfs might be a little slower but nothing noticable though

Not true.

It is possible to view NTFS from win98 but you have to buy a 3rd party product which will let you do it and of course its not supported by MS.

running fat32 on winXP/2k will disable a lot of the security options

Fat32 also isn't as reliable NTFS

but generally you shouldn't have a problem

hmm..guess there is one now

Beefy Guest

I run my Windows XP system on a FAT32 partition, and it's perfectly fine for me.

If you wanted to have two partitions (one with XP / NTFS and the other with Win98 / FAT32), then that should work, however when you boot Win98, you won't be able to see the NTFS drive, but when you boot with XP you'll see them both.

I don't see why there would be complications with running a FAT32 file system win XP though.

There shouldn't be complications, but you miss out on a lot of useful security features.

For example, you can store all your passwords (for forums, email, etc.) in a file in XP/NTFS and you can then encrypt the contents of the file so only you can view them. Even if someone copies the file from your machine, they can't view it without your user logon.

With NTFS, if you password protect your drive, even if someone steals the entire physical drive they can't look at the contents in any way without the password.

It is highly recommended that you use NTFS. I can't think of a reason to use FAT32.

Beefy Guest

Why use FAT32? Backwards compatibility... that's the main clincher for me.

Well, I will definatly have XP on its own drive, with 100% NTFS.

The reason I ask, is because I just 'ghosted' my old 98SE drive onto a backup drive, and I plan to keep it for a while in a removable drive tray, and then swap it with my XP drive, if and when I ever want to use 98SE again. (I have spare trays btw)

With that said, i have a 60GB WD 5400 ATA100 that i still want to have accessable from both OS's

I was fairly sure it would work, but I just wanted to make sure, Thanks for your help guys :thumb:

Quote Originally Posted by Beefy
    Why use FAT32? Backwards compatibility... that's the main clincher for me.
    I figured it'd be for a reason like that, but I'm curious which application/game doesn't run on NTFS? The only ones I can think of are DOS-based games.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information