Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: L2 Cache Tweak worthless?

http://www.subzerotech.com/index.php...&id=13&page=10

Well, this tweak was in Tweak XP Part II. I did it, is it bad, do I need to disable it. I'm running a P4 Northwood with 512 kb cache, and before I tweaked it it only showed 256 in decimal mode. According to that site the tweak is worthless, but I was wondering about it from you guys, because my L2 cache is wrong on that setting if I put it back to where it was.

It may be worthless - various MS reports indicate that a value of 0 (default) will allow the OS to autodetect the cache size from the hardware, but I've noticed no performance improvement (or decrease) by manually setting the L2 cache size, so at best it may help a little, at worst it does nothing.

But it's harmless, so you may as well put in your L2 Cache size just in case it makes a difference.

/EDIT - just reread your post and you say the default value for you is 256? Sounds a bit odd. I'd recommend putting it to 512 (in Decimal).

The best way to find out what it does for performance is to run the Sandra Multimedia benchmark before you adjust the setting, and afterwards (after a reboot).

PI I agree, it can't hurt to set it to the correct amount especially if it has been set at an incorrect one.

Well, I set it to 512 and benchmarked and there was....

no change.

Oh well though, at least now its accurate. Thx for the suggestions guys, and at least it didn't slow down performance.

I would expect it best to have the L2 at the appropriate mark.
    Most likely the goings on within the L2 happen at such a level that you might not even notice during normal computing -- until it was broken:?:
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

On the topic of that guide you linked to, I went through it yesterday and I must say I was underwhelmed (of course my guide is better :D).

For one thing, they simply rehash all the known tweaks, but in no logical order. They don't attribute the tweaks to any other guide - in fact at the end of their guide there is no fair crediting of the info to any of the main known sources (Tweaktown XP Guide parts I & II for example).

On page 5 they have some brilliant tweaking advice for virtual memory (which is an essential tweak btw) under the ingenious title "speeding things up":

While your there you can also adjust your virtual memory by clicking on “change” under virtual memory. Again If you do not know what you are doing I would probably suggest that you either get help from a forum or skip this tweak.
    No size or setting given. Find out for yourself! Isn't that the point of a guide...to tell people precisely what to set it to? And of course they give the incorrect setting under Advanced>Processor Scheduling>"Background Services".

Again on page 6 they give no info on which services to set to automatic or disable or manual. In fact they say "you can right-click it and change it’s properties from ’Automatic’ to ’Manual’" not mentioning you can disable a whole bunch of em or give a useful link to a reputable XP Services Guide!

Yes I know it sounds odd for me to rubbish another person's guide, but it makes me a little angry because there are now a whole bunch of people (like yourself) who get the wrong information about tweaks because these guys did a quick and easy "ultimate" XP guide.

I for 1 think that; "If you do not know what you are doing I would probably suggest that you either get help from a forum or skip this tweak." Is pretty good advice:)
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

:D Wrong - It's great advice! :D

Heheh...it's good advice for sure :)

But it's the purpose of a software guide to provide the information and recommended settings which people can use to perform a tweak.

Seasoned tweakers rarely follow guides to the letter anyway, so they're mainly for the less experienced among us who don't have the time/patience/aptitude to search and learn all about different features. They just want the safest and best performing tweaks laid out for them.

So it was a cop out from the boys at subzerotech in my opinion.

But don't take my word for it....I would probably suggest that you either get help from a forum or not listen to me ;)

Yeah, it seems like 3/4 of their tweak guide was taken straight from yours, although maybe those are just very common tweaks. They did have a Gator ads removal tweak which was cool, and a system hang fix which helped my old computer, but was really a fix instead of a tweak. I got the link to it from you guys though, so if you don't like it you should remove it. Your tweak guide helped me the most though so thx.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information