Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: windows 7 taskbar tasks disappear on boot

Default windows 7 taskbar tasks disappear on boot

good morning.

i've got a bit of an odd issue that's plagued me since i installed windows 7 for the first time after receiving my retail copy.

every time i boot my system, open programs don't show up in the taskbar. my quick-launch icons are there, but if i downsize a program it doesn't go to the taskbar. ever.

the only way i've ever found to fix it is to close explorer.exe and allow it to restart - at which point the taskbar functionality is re-enabled.

it's gotta be a setting i'm missing. got any ideas?

Default Re: windows 7 taskbar tasks disappear on boot

Probably a virus or corruption. Try scandisk, system file checker (sfc is probably buried in 7 somewhere), or you could resort to MsConfig and disable all startup items (best start there imo).

no chance. this has happened literally since first boot - as in, there's never been a time that it worked properly.

unless there was a virus on the disc i installed it from, there's no way it caught something during installation. it wasn't plugged in until after.

prophetik,

It is a good idea to try MsConfig and also SFC if the problem is not a virus. If you can't find it, you might need to reinstall (...f/w update or different optical drive..?).

an optical drive wouldn't affect the installation of windows - if it wasn't reading properly, it'd break the installation and it'd fail, not just screw up one little setting somewhere.

what exactly would i be looking for in msconfig? the whole problem is i don't know what to call the problem, hence i don't know where to look for it. it can't be a startup program screwing it up because i get the same problem in safe mode.

i'm not going to reinstall for a stupid little issue like this - that's akin to throwing out a computer because it got a dent or something.

Prophetik,

Assisting you is difficult.

I recommend you attempt to use the system with everything disabled. That rules out many software conflicts.

SFC should be the first attempt.

The parenthesed optical drive comment was a last resort attempt. There is a small possibility the drive has buggy firmware and a very low rate of read error rate, even in the realm of once or twice an install. This does occur.

I wouldn't call no use of the task bar a 'small issue' and to myself and imo... others, a reinstallation would be the first action.

Quote Originally Posted by silekonn View Post
    Prophetik,

Assisting you is difficult.
    hah! i understand. it's tough to tell when people are being sarcastic when you're typing in a text box. i mean no harm =) i'm just really blunt.

I recommend you attempt to use the system with everything disabled. That rules out many software conflicts.
    i'm a little confused what could be conflicting with it, though. it happens on startup in safe mode - meaning nothing third party is causing it, not even plug-n-play stuff - and all i need to do to fix the problem is to restart explorer itself. the taskbar works completely fine after that. no difficulties. the quick-link buttons you can pin to the taskbar work, too - it's just when you downsize something, it doesn't show up until you restart explorer.

SFC should be the first attempt.
    i'll give it a shot.

The parenthesed optical drive comment was a last resort attempt. There is a small possibility the drive has buggy firmware and a very low rate of read error rate, even in the realm of once or twice an install. This does occur.

I wouldn't call no use of the task bar a 'small issue' and to myself and imo... others, a reinstallation would be the first action.
    reinstallation isn't really too much of an option on this system, unfortunately. it's primarily for audio and composing work, which involves well over a hundred individualized components to be installed. it takes a loooooong time to get them all working with each other =) and like i said, it's a minor issue at best.

thanks for the help so far.

prophetik,

You could also use Process Manager or Explorer to Analyze explorer.exe . You may find a file that is part of some software, a file that was patched with an outdated version, or something that loads when the problem begins.

It could be a system file that was "updated" by an installation to a version that Windows 7 is not compatible (although it is supposedly keeping multiple versions).

Silekonn

Thread Information