Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: windows 7 will only install into 32bit, not 64 bit with i7 920

Default windows 7 will only install into 32bit, not 64 bit with i7 920

I am having the problem of windows 7 only wanting to install into 32bit and not 64bit on my computer. I have searched the net and have seen multiple people saying that they run 64 bit on their comp so whats the deal. I have a asus x58 MB and 4 gigs ddr3 corsair mem. Intel i7 920 and anything would be appreciated.

Default Re: windows 7 will only install into 32bit, not 64 bit with i7 920

Silly question: Windows 7 (like XP and Vista, as well as other operating systems) comes in multiple flavors. Are you using a 64bit installation disk? If you are, in fact, using a Windows 7 64bit installation package what error are you getting?
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

my windows 7 cd case came with a 64 bit and a 32 bit disc, when i insert the 64 bit disc i get this message

"This installation disc isn't compatible with your version of Windows. To upgrade, you need the correct installation disc. For more information, check your computer's system information. To install a new copy of Windows, restart (boot) your computer using the installation disc, and then select Custom (advanced)."

Thats as far as the 64 bit disc will go, the 32 bit disc installs everything just fine.

Ahh! O.k. I believe the problem comes from the fact that you are attempting to do an UPGRADE from a 32 bit O/S to 64 bit and not a fresh install. In theory you can only upgrade to Windows 7 64bit if you are already using a previous 64bit Windows installation. You can, however, use your upgrade disk to do a clean install to 64 bit : Clean Install Windows 7 - Windows 7 Forums .
    Keep in mind that this method wipes all previous programs/files so be sure to have a backup of all your stuff first.
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

you were correct about the problem but i think i had a unique case. I had 64 bit vista and it would ONLY install into 32 bit windows 7. Then for about 2 months i kept trying to install into 64 bit windows 7 and it wasnt untill yesterday that it finally worked. I pretty much tried every two weeks because i figured that a update may come out for some random peice of my hardware that would fix the issue and apparently something changed because it works now lol.

Thread Information