Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Vista Home Basic many hardware devices disabled?

Default Vista Home Basic many hardware devices disabled?

A friend of mine gave me a his HP notebook which recently developed a serious problem. It's an HP Pavilion DV6305 that uses an Nvida chipset and AMD cpu and runs Vista Home Basic. When he first bought it, I set it up for him with Eset's Nod32 anti-virus.

The problem appears to be that at least 10 devices appear to be unable to load the associated device driver and in each case (looking in device manager) the error message appears to be: Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (code 39)

Googling on this error only turned up dozens of references to people having this problem with their CD / DVD drive but nothing like what is going on here.

Of course my first suspicion was a virus, since this seems to be the case with so many people having problems these days. I scanned with the installed Nod32 V4.0.x and it didn't find anything. Of course not that that completely rules out a virus.

Next I tried running a disk test on the boot drive with both "Automatically fix file system errors" and "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors" and the system log seems to indicate that the hard drive is clean with no problems.

The devices that are disabled include both the Ethernet and wireless controllers, the USB controllers, the HP quick Launch Buttons, the audio controller, etc. The only way to get files onto the machine is by burning them onto CD, since the CD / DVD drive is one of the few devices that appears to be working. I've tried downloading drivers for the Nvidia chipset and networking controllers, putting them on a cd and trying to reinstall them but while the installation appears to complete without errors on reboot the device still doesn't work properly.

I tried starting in safe mode with networking much of the disabled hardware is still disabled. The nforce networking controller, the Broadcom wireless controller and the USB ports are all marked with the yellow circle and exclamation and properties shows the same code 39 error on all of them.

I've tried running the Nod32 anti-virus from safe mode (command line version only from safe mode) and if there's a virus it still can't detect it.

I also tried from the F8 Advanced Boot options menu, going to Repair Your Computer and seeing what restore points are available but was told that there were no available system restore points.

I'd really rather not have to do a backup and full system restore to get this working again. Does anyone have any ideas what I could do to fix this problem? If this is a virus, any ideas on how to remove it since the installed scanner can't detect it?

Thanks,

- Norm

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Vista Home Basic many hardware devices disabled?

Sounds like a virus to me, especially since you cannot access the restore points (or they have been deleted) Have you ran something like spybot search and destroy or unhackme? Might want to give those a shot as they will likely find and get rid of it.

You should probably also run Malwarebytes anti malware. All of those are free, except unhackme which will be a trial (just install to check, reboot to check again, then uninstall).

UnhackMe
    UnHackMe - First Boot Watch AntiRootkit - Greatis Software

Spybot, Be sure to update after install. Do not install "System Tea Timer", Internet Explorer Tea Timer is fine though
    The home of Spybot-S&D!

Malwarebytes
    Malwarebytes

You did try reinstalling the chipset drivers correct? If not that may be the main issue, although not sure how they would have been removed to being with though? If you didn't go ahead and install those and see if it corrects the problems.

There is 4 DV6305's so not sure which you have, you will need to check then go to the correct link and download the chipset drivers
    HP Pavilion dv6300 Entertainment Notebook PC series

Sorry, I had also installed SpyBot Search & Destroy at the same time I'd installed Nod32 which was long before this problem started happening. I did put the latest SpyBot includes on a cd and install and scan with that but it found absolutely nothing.

As you suggested, I downloaded UnHackMe and MalwareBytes AntiMalware and scanned with both of those. In the case of UnHackMe, it did find several suspicious things some of which appeared to be part of the HP Printer installation and several other known things know to me. But there were a couple things like the ViewPoint Manager which I told it to remove but that in no way fixed or changed the problem. I'm right now at the end of the MalwareBytes scan and it's in the middle of the windows directory and so far it's found zero things.

After UnHackMe removed the things that I didn't recognize, I again tried to reinstall the Nvidia chipset drivers which install without error and indicate that a reboot is necessary but upon reboot nothing has changed and everything that wasn't working before still isn't working. Fyi, this is a DV6305us and the chipset drivers, wireless and audio drivers that I'm attempting to reinstall all came from the correct page for that HP model.

I'm really uncertain about whether this is a virus or not, usually on most virus infected computers I'm used to seeing strange behavior such as task manager, process explorer, SpyBot and similar programs being forcibly closed and not being able to run or odd dialogs popping up, fake AV programs etc. I'm not seeing any of that behavior, every program that I run (such as the driver installs, which I run as administrator) all seem to run and finish correctly but on reboot none of the hardware that the drivers were for starts to function correctly.

A appreciate all the input I can get but so far none of this has turned up the source of the problem, any idea's anyone?

Thanks,

- Norm

Hmm, sounds like you know what's up then! I was about to ask about things not being able to open such as .exe files or control panels, ect. and if there was any fake anti virus programs in the task bar or not.

Mind posting a hijack this log, and showing a full shot of processes in task manager?

Have you ran a windows sfc scan?

If not, have your vista disk handy and open a administrator command prompt and type the following

SFC /SCANNOW
    It should take several minutes, and it will ask for you to insert the DVD if it finds any issues.

May need to to a clean install in the end, since vista does not allow a repair (DAMN MS!) Backups to another disk in this case would not be needed, if you didn't know when you reinstall Vista to a disk/partition where it is aleady installed it will keep all the old install and move it to a windows.old folder on the C drive so you can move over any needed files once the new install is done.

I did give the system file checker a try (although I didn't have the HP DVD handy) just to see what it would say and it did say that it found and repaired a couple things.

The most bizarre thing is that I now believe that I've found the problem! I was in "Programs and Features" uninstalling UnHackMe and the MalwareBytes software and while I was scrolling down the list I saw something (which I so wish I'd written down) that said USB-Something-Something and I had recalled seeing that as an uncertain / unknown item in UnHackMe but it was not known as any kind of Malware or Virus and that the author was SourceForge.Net. I myself use a number of open source programs that I get from SourceForge so I really didn't think anything about it but since I didn't have any idea what it was for or what program it belonged to I uninstalled it. After I did that and rebooted all the hardware that had been disabled was now working.

I really wish that I'd written that down so that I could Google on it in order to see what exactly it was.

On another note, I've fixed enough virus infected XP machines to know how valuable the ability to do a repair install of the operating system is. It is reprehensible that Microsoft has taken the ability to do that away from Vista and Windows 7. I just can't see the logic in this, although I'm sure that MS has some lame excuse as to why that ability was taken out.

Thanks for all the help!

- Norm

Actually, it was really bugging me so I searched for some log files that may have been produced by UnHackMe and I believe that the thing that I uninstalled was LibUSB-Win32-0.1.12.1 which I fould on SourceForge it's description is
    LibUsb-Win32 is a port of the USB library libusb (libusb | Get libusb at SourceForge.net) to the Windows operating system (Win98SE, WinME, Win2k, WinXP). The library allows user space applications to access any USB device on Windows.
    . There were some comments which included
    Ok, it's not really a bad project, but this should serve as a warning that it could crash or kill usb in Vista and Win7 machines just by installing - see the forum for more details. If you don't install the filter driver (or run in compatibility mode for win2k when installing), you might be able to avoid these issues.
    so wait til I get my hands on my friend, but most likely this is something his kid installed for some reason.

- Norm

Great to hear you solved this!!

Odd to hear such a simple thing could cause such an issue, but drivers can be a pain sometimes! I know once I tried to update a driver, Microsoft driver at that (Intellimouse), and it failed miserably. Needless to say I spent a hour or three trying to correct things, and eventually gave up and reinstalled. It would not boot to windows, safe mode or not, I could not repair it even by removing the driver offline in another system. Drivers can be a huge pain and cause unexpected major failures, surprising for such small things they are!

Ya I think that is the single dumbest thing they have done in a long time! Probably they say it is for some security purpose, or to somehow stop people from pirating the software?? Dumb, that's all there is to say about that. XP repair rocks, especially when you personally can't help someone but they are still computer literate. Do the repair, install updates again, problem solved thousands of times over for me and my clients.

Pretty soon they will remove SFC for some reason as well, just wait!

Well bud I am glad you found the cause and fixed this issue! Feel free to post back anytime!

Ohh, and next time do not use SFC scan if you do not have a DVD on hand, normal retail one would be fine it would not need to be OEM Specifi.

I say this because sometimes this scan deletes system files before it asks you for the disk, then if you do not give it the disk the system will be useless until you find one and insert it:) So just a friendly heads up!

Thread Information