Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Windows 7 Networking Disconnect Failure?

Default Windows 7 Networking Disconnect Failure?

I just put together a brand new system with the following specs: Antec 900 Two case, Asus P6X58D Premium Motherboard, Intel Core i7-960 cpu, 6gb OCZ PC3-12800 memory kit, Zotac GTX275 video card, OCZ 700watt PSU, two Western Digital 1TB Black Edition Hard drives, LG Blu-Ray burner, Windows 7 Ultimate x64.

I've had the system up and running for about a week and everything seems to have been running fine until today. I have four other systems (besides this new one) attached to a Linksys gigabit switch, the other systems are a Windows 2003 server, an XP x32 system, an XP x64 system and a Vista x64 system. The server acts as my DHCP and DNS server but it's just setup as a workgroup server and not an active directory domain and it also runs a Firebird database server.

The problem that I had was that I was running a database application that was both accessing files on the server as well as accessing the Firebird database server. (this had been running for more than six hours) Then I copied a large amount of file data from the Vista machine to a share on the new Windows 7 machine. A few minutes into the copy process the system totally lost it's connection to the server, I got both an error that the connection to the database was lost as well as losing access to the main shared drive.

While the copy was in process (this took between 6 and 8 minutes) I could not ping or reconnect to the servers shared drive.

As far as I can tell the copy process completed without an error from the Vista machine and once the copy process completed I was again able to reconnect to the shared drive and when I reran the database app it was able to establish a new connection to the server.

The Asus P6X58D Premium has dual Marvell 88E8056 gigabit Ethernet controllers and I am using the latest available drivers from the Marvell web site. Has anyone seen a problem like this and have any idea how to keep this from happening again?

Thanks,

- Norm

Default Re: Windows 7 Networking Disconnect Failure?

Some additional information:

I noticed that applications that rely heavily on network communications seemed sluggish and so I ran a couple tests. First I tried transferring 8gb of data from my Vista x64 machine to my XP x64 machine and the copy dialog indicated the data was being transferred at 85/86 MB/sec and during the whole process that never fell below 70 MB/sec, when transferring the data back to the Vista machine the amount of time was about the same. Next I tried transferring the same 8gb of data from the Vista x64 machine to my Windows 7 x64 system and that showed that data was transferring at 10.2 MB/sec and never any faster that 10.5 MB/sec.

So data transfers to my Windows 7 machine are essentially going at about an eighth the speed that they are going on my other systems.

Any idea's anyone?

Thanks,

- Norm

Default Re: Windows 7 Networking Disconnect Failure?

I've been trying to work this problem and in part I've identified and corrected at least one issue. The network cable that I had been using appears to be bad and I've replaced it which has in part fixed the problem, however now I appear to have a new issue.

The problem that I'm having is that this board has dual gigabit adapters using a Marvell 88E8056 controller and no matter what I do I can't get a connection at gigabit speed and the best that it will auto negotiate is 100mbs. I'm using a Linksys SD2008 8 port gigabit switch and have four other systems attached to it that have no problem connecting at 1000mbs.

As with any new system, I checked both the Asus site and the Marvell site for the latest Windows 7 x64 driver for this controller.

So far I've tried both Marvell ports, a brand new cat 6 gigabit rated cable and swapping the cable to different ports on the switch and I just can't get it to auto negotiate at anything faster than 100mbs. I've tried manually going to the adapter properties and forcing it to 1000Mbps Full Duplex and when I do that I completely loose my connection to the network.

I've also Googled on the Linksys SD2008 and while I have seen some reports that some people have experienced problems over time with 1000Mbps operation: all systems stopped being able to negotiate 1000Mbps. I checked the adapter status on several of my other systems and all seem to have no problem getting a 1000Mbps connection.

I'm out of idea's, has anyone seen anything like this and have an idea how to fix it?

Thanks,

- Norm

Thread Information