Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: WinXP Tweaking

Reinstalling the games again after the fresh reinstall isn't really necessary. I've scrapped my C:\ several times and then just thrown a shortcut to the executable from the D:\ drive onto my desktop to access it again. The worst that I've had happen so far with this technique is that when I throw in my Diablo II disk and it Autoplays, it doesn't recognize that the game is installed; but it plays with no problems at all. Most of the games don't even run into this minor a problem.

I can live with that. :)
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Originally posted by Kheldar
    > The best solution is to have 2 separate physical HD's (or more I usually have 3 or 4).

> Hard drives are relatively cheap, and for the hassles of having partitions, I'd rather a second physical disk.

A little out of date here.

Notebook computers only have ONE hard disk. They have (now) inbuilt Firewire, USB2, Pentium 2 ghtz, inbuilt Uninterrruptible Power supply, etc -- and are selling better than other forms of computers.

So if you hav 30, 40, 60 GB, you might prefer to partition it. Each partition is easier & quicker to:
    DEFRAG
    SEARCH
    INDEX
    VIRUS SCAN

etc.

You can hide partitions, & have your backup/ archive partitions in NTFS-COMPRESSION.

It is a good idea sometimes to have one partition devoted to the disk cache - between the two larger partitions.

Greg Zeng
    AUSTRALIA

I have three hard drives, On one I have WinME, and XP Pro on another. The third drive I use for backing up the other two. This works fine for me, I mess up all the time but I just go to my backup drive and I'm up and running in no time. I just could not see the expense in buying a CDRW.

lmwalton:

Thanks for the info it all helpps in knowing what others have figured out or what works.

James Jolly

well I have one 41gig drive formated in ntfs with xp pro. When ever I need to back up anything I either load things on cd-r's....or I back up to the 15 gig partition on the 30 gig drive on the server.

I usually find one drive easier to work with and for some reason I can stand working with a second drive. I'm getting my hands on a broken 40 gigger it died in an improper overclock. If I can rejuvinate the drive then I'll probably load linux on it or something and use that drive for back up. Something like that.

Hope everything worked out - Tracker

Well guess what my drive just crashed.Downloaded a nasty bit o software that xp did not like at all.My operating system corrupted and f8 safe mode wouldnt work.Changed slave drive that I have installed to master and still could not even see drive.

Tried several ways to get the drive recognized but had no luck.The drives I'm using are Seagate and I had a Seagate program called Diskwizard already loaded on the slave drive so I used this to start an install on the drive that was corrupted as if it were a new drive that I was installing.

Diskwizard recognized the drive and at the moment that it was going to start formatting the drive I as you might say pulled out,cancelled Diskwizard.

I then used Norton to check and repair the drive and then put the drive back as my master and the other drive back to slave and with a few more tweaks I'm up and on the internet again.

Quote Originally Posted by tracker
    Well guess what my drive just crashed.Downloaded a nasty bit o software that xp did not like at all.My operating system corrupted and f8 safe mode wouldnt work.
    Diskwizard recognized the drive and at the moment that it was going to start formatting the drive I as you might say pulled out,cancelled Diskwizard.

I then used Norton to check and repair the drive and then put the drive back as my master and the other drive back to slave and with a few more tweaks I'm up and on the internet again.
    If you used "CHKDSK /F" - it might have had the same RESCUE result as Norton. Microsoft's CHKDSK can be run from a bootup floppy disk.

Also usefule on this RESCUE BOOTUP FLOPPY DISK is "FDISK.EXE". Then you might also need to run from the floppy disk:

"FDISK /MBR".

Finally, if that all fails, try the rescue from the XP CDROM. Lucky you had NORTON this time, but next time?

Quote Originally Posted by PersianImmortal

- Separate partitions with different formatting results in the NTFS partition seeing the FAT32 one, but not vice versa.
    WTF? You don't actually believe a partition "sees" anything?
    Besides, I disagree.: FAT32 and NTFS (-and EXT2,reiserFS, EXT3,HPFS,etc..,etc...) can very well be mixed in the partitiontable without causing any problems for the user. One partition dont "care" of what filesystem the other one are of, as long as the OS who should read data from them can do so. Also FAT32 is not slower than NTFS, thats dead-wrong! FAT32 is a simpler filesystem (without user permission) and indexing services, which generally increases the actual performance of the partition -in means of copying data.

I'm currently running FAT32,NTFS,Ext2 and reiserFS at home.

PS: I agree about the boot-time of XP though, it booted (relatively) slow(ly) after I created 3 new partitions. (stupid if you ask me)

EDIT by Beefy: Post removed due to lack of relevance.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information