Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: XPSP1 logon changed

Have installed xpsp1 which seems to run real sweet
    xcept that a logon screen asking for my password
    now appears. As i didnt set a password when i origionlly installed
    xp and i only click ok to enter xp, ie no password reguired what gives & how do i remove this screen.

Didyou try going in to users and seeing if you have a password set now? Maybe something screwed up and gave you a blank password? Just a thought....

No doesnt seem to have a password
    This happened just after i uninstalled stylexp
    which stopped working after xpsp1 installation
    could this change my user profile:cheers:

I dunno....but considering this isn't the official release of SP1. Something is a little screwy going on with it. Considering the fact that it changed my boot up time from about 20-25 seconds to about 3-4 minutes. Something is definitly strange with it.

Open the registry editor and browse to
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

Is your password in there? Or is there anything there related to logon beside your user name?

No nothing there indicating any password.
    If your machine takes 3-4 minutes to boot you have massive
    problems mine xp1800/512ram takes about 10 secs
    from button push to full bore excluding this logon screen issue
    Got my copy of SP1 3 days ago, considering MS is going to release it next tuesday must be the real deal id reckon. :cheers:

10 seconds?!?! How did you get it to boot so fast? I have a 1.13 gig, 512 ram, and it takes about 35 seconds. I'd like to get mine to boot as fast as yours. My shutdown time takes longer than your bootup time!

Easy i exadurated really takes 22 seconds
    Sparky the eternal optimist:cheers:

ya well actually my machine used to take ABOUT 20 seconds or about the same as yours.

Before SP1:
    Would go through post in about 4 seconds total from video card to processor to temperature. Then I would look at a different screen the XP professional screen and the blue things would go by about 3-7 times that was average so that screen didn't take long either. Then the screen would flicker between blue and black about 3 times it did it really fast so that took like 1 second. Then I stare at the blue screen that says welcome to windows and blah blah blah but that only takes like 2 saeconds at max. Now I have a fully loaded desktop. Takes about 20 maybe 30 seconds at absolute max to boot up, rebooting took about 50 seconds and I've counted that to a stop watch.

After SP1:
    Would go through post in about 4 seconds total from video card to processor to temperature. THen I have some new screens to look at. Right after post the screen will turn black and stay black for about 2 minutes when I look down at my computer there is alot of hard disk activity so its gotta be doing something but what? Then the screen changes and you have that grey bar at the bottom of the screen I usually don't see this but it sits there for an aditional 30-45 seconds and scrolls very slowly once it gets about half way it bursts to the finish line. Anything past this point is a normal windows boot up.

I can't find anything wrong with my PC so I'm probably gonna wait for the "official" microsoft service pack release maybe that will fix my computer. I tried reinstalling the service pack on my computer again thinking it would fix. Today is saturday I have lots of time and nothing to do. Do youthink that the official service pack won't fix my comp? If not do you suggest that I give it a format and load the service pack after format thinking it would fix it then? Or do you suggest that I wait.

Sounds like your machine is looking for something like a driver or registery entry ,try starting up & use step by step start up & see where it gets stuck if should show you where the problem lies.
    If your service pack is 1106 final i dont think mondays release is going to be any different:thumb:

Most of us have probably run the BOOT Tracer from MS, which speeds things up, might need to be done again.......

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information