Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trouble installing SP1

After the files are unpacked, I get the error message " The core system file(kernel) used to start Windows is not an authentic Windows file. The service pack installation will be terminated. Go to Microsoft Knowledge Base Q327101 for more information at http://support.microsoft.com".

Checked the knowledge base and Q327101 does not exist. Any ideas?

I use a dual boot with WinME, wonder if this is the problem.

hmm.....not authentic? Tell me something about this dual boot. Are they on separte partitions? Are they on the same partition and formatted as fat32?

As for that problem with the core kernal it kind of sounds like there is a reinstallation of windows on its way. Either that or the file you downloaded got corrupted?

Its a corporate key installation. ;) WinME is on C: partition, WinXP on D: partition. Both are fat32.

Downloaded the SP twice just to be sure, same result.

Ok, figured it out. Somehow my NTOSKRNL.EXE file had gotten modified. It was 300 kb smaller than the original from the WinXP install CD. Replaced it with the original and also reinstalled the original BOOT.INI file. SP1 then installed fine.

good. That was gonna be my next guess was maybe a corrupted or modified file.

where exactly is it in the windows xp cd? i checked the 1386 directory and found a NTOSKRNL.EX_ which i renamed to NTOSKRNL.EXE and copied and pasted to wherever it was in my computer, yet i was still unable to install sp1. is it necesary to reboot the computer after replacing it?
    do you respect me because i have a sig?

absolutly cause this is one of the many core kernal files that windows uses to operate on. It loads it into memory and stays there. I"m actually quite curious why you were able to overwrite it without it giving you an error message saying its in use. Oh well it didn't happen but ya reboot and the file will be freshly reloaded and you should be ok. If not then your problem is something else.

Then again on the other hand I'm not even to sure if *.ex_ is the same thing as *.exe

well i am a little reluctant to restart with something i had to rename myself from a .ex_ because my computer may not start correctly... so if you did this and it worked, please tell me.

i was wondering if jstic could tell me exactly where in the windowsxp cd he pulled out NTOSKRNL.EXE. also if he rebooted in safe mode to do the replacing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information