Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Not a "pirate"

Mr. Wilmot, I don't believe that you have anything to worry about regarding Windows XP piracy. Copyright law allows me to do whatever I wish with copyright material that I have legally acquired, and that includes installing software on multiple computers. In order to do this, I need to subvert the product activation process. I have not signed my rights away in a legally binding contract.

Read the EULA! When you opened the software, you gave away the right to just about everything but breathing. (I'm sure that will be next. It will cut down on tech support.)

No I didn't. The EULA said I did, but it's wrong.

You have to remember, M$ position is that you didn't accually buy anything from them, you purchased a license to use THEIR stuff. They then set terms and conditions on its use which you agreed to when you opened the software. The courts have pretty much upheld the basics of such agreements for years. I won't personally recommend that anybody either abide by the agreement or violate it. It is a personal choice. While I don't call it piracy (I think pirates take something from you and deprive you of its use.), you should at least admit that you are committing copyright infringment if you do it. You break the law when you do it. If you exceed the speed limit, do you claim that you are not a lawbreaker because you do not like the posted limit. If I break a law and get it pointed out, I should just take it like a big boy and admit that I choose to disrespect the law. I might explain why I choose to disregard that law, but would't say I'm not guilty just because I didn't like the law.

Thread Information