Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Install Legitimate XP Pro over existing Devil's Own

After running XP Pro Corp. (fck*** version), I am going to purchase and install a legitimate copy of XP Pro. I realize that I will have to activate, etc., but my real question is:

Can I reinstall the legit copy over the existing Devil's Own version? I don't want to reformat and do a clean install, rather I want to "upgrade" to preserve all of my current settings and software installations. Can I do this from within XP using the new CD and the new CD Key, or will existing files from the old installation prevent me from doing this? Or is there anything that I may have to do first before trying to install the retail version?

Thanks in advance for any help.

I have a feeling that if you export your files & settings using the XP wizard, you can then import them back into a fresh install.

Failing that how about trying the 'repair' option when installing your new copy - this should retain all of your programs and most of your drivers.

Let me know what you find out. I have a legit version of XP home and installed non-legit XP pro over it. I just installed legit XP pro (upgrade) over that and registered it. Haven't tried to do the SP-1 yet since computer is with son in college, but will find out if he can do it soon. Have non-L XP-pro on other computer (installed with clean format) and need to know the same questions you ask. Do I need full version, upgrade only or do i have to reinstall win98 (ack) and then upgrade. Going to try some of them out and will report back.

Thread Information