Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: xp-pro going stright

a person asked me today in the shop if I can take his computer with a copy of xp-pro that is working good, and install a new leagel copy of xp-pro on top of his existing copy and end up with a good leagle activated xp-pro system. I did not know if it would or still have some kind of leftover problem from the not so leagle copy that was installed.

well usually in most cases it would overwrite everything. but there is usually always evidence of the previous existing installtion before hand.

so, a clean install still is always best, that is the way I felt, he said he did not want to have to reinstall everything over.
    thanke for the reply and confermation of my thinking.

I was in the same situation and I upgraded with a legal purchased copy of Pro - did NOT do a clean install. I too did not want to have to reinstall all of my software. From within Windows, insert the new legal copy of XP Pro and at the prompt, "Upgrade". Everything ran without a hitch. The install program told me that I would have to reinstall Omnipage Pro 10 and update Easy CD Creator 5.1 after the install. I followed these instructions and everything works fine. I activated, registered, and then applied SP!. The only problem that I had was that I had to reinstall my Soundbalster drivers following the "Upgrade".

You are correct that a clean install would have been preferable. The "Upgrade" route does work however, and I saved myself a considerable amount of work by not having to reinstall all of my existing software.

Just a quick question. How much does upgrade overwrite? I know you can keep your existing software with it but can you keep your internet/network settings as well?

thanks in advance.

Andy

Andy:

I've been using my system now for a few days since I upgraded. Haven't found any settings that were overwritten. Internet settings retained, program preferences retained, nothing that I can see was reset or wiped out during the upgrade. If you are using the "Intel Application Accelerator", it should be uninstalled prior to upgrading and then reinstalled after. Hope this helps.

Good to know, thanks for answer Rebel9.

Would have been pain to dig up account numbers, passwords and such to get my dsl connection to work again

Yeah, I know ... maybe I should still dig 'em up and keep 'em handy for 'disaster-waiting-to-happen-in-not-so-distance-future'.
    :laugh:

Andy

thanks for all the replies, that does it for me, going to buy it and set things stright, very happy that I don't have to reload everything,

Thread Information