Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: my pc doesnīt detect my cd drive!

suddently, i canīt do anything on my cd drive. winXPpro doesnīt recognise my drive "D" (cdROM).
    what could be wrong?
    how do i fix this?
    i canīt burn cdīs!

I have had the same problem with my cd-rw drive. The other day it just stopped working. It's like it isnt getting any power (can't open the drive). I don't see why it happened. I am currently running Win98.

-PGA1234
    New Sig soon, old one was way outdated.

:thumb:

The first thing to do is look in device manager under "ide ata/atapi controllers" and see if the secondary ide channel is working properly. Open the box and check that both the data and power connectors are secure (check the other end of the data cable too, at the mobo). Does the bios see the drive on bootup? Does the led on the drive light up at any time? Will the drawer open? Do you have an old Win98 boot disk with cd drivers on it? You can boot from one of these and leave windows out of the equation altogether. This is often an easy to tell if it is software or hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by pga1234
    I have had the same problem with my cd-rw drive. The other day it just stopped working. It's like it isnt getting any power (can't open the drive). I don't see why it happened. I am currently running Win98.

-PGA1234
    thatīs exactly my problem! , i open up "my computer" and my "d" drive does not even appear there!(my "d" drive is also a cd-rw).
    the light does flash, and sometimes it opens, sometimes not.
    iīm most certain itīs software related. please help.

Look in "device manager", not "My computer".

Start button
    settings
    control panel
    system
    hardware
    device manager
    ide ata/atapi controllers
    secondary ide channel

Look at the general tab on the properties page and see if Windows thinks it's working properly.

here is a thread from Via Arena forums which suggests the fix I used.

Basically you search for and delete instances of the "lowerfilters" string in the Registry. It worked for me. I can't recall if I also had to delete "upperfilters" as well.

Make sure you back up your registry first. It worked for me, but it can be risky.

thanks for the help but i canīt quite understand what exactly to delete (and i get nervous messing with the registry).
    i ran a search in the registry and i could not delete some values.
    "unable to delete all specified values"
    please explain.

I read that thread. That was something completely new to me. As far as editing the regestry goes, when you do the "find" on lowerfilters, the first instance it found will be highlighted in the right pane. Rightclick on the entry and select "delete". Then press F3 and the next entry it found will appear in the right pane, highlighted as before. Repeat the proceedure until no more matching entries are found. I would guess you were selecting other entries as well as the correct ones somehow if you can indeed delete all of the lowerfilter entries.

Just back up your registry first:

Start>Run>Regedit
    Highlight My Computer (the highest level)
    Select Export under the File menu

Then search for and delete the "Upperfilter" entries in the CD ROM classes only.

I have a similar problem...I did a clean install of Win XP, and after installing from CD, my CD ROM no longer existed in the XP environment.
    I Formatted the HD, and set up a dual boot with XP and 98. 98 runs fine, but still no CD ROM in XP. Is this just a driver issue? I've tried close to a doxen different drivers, and nothing works. XP apparantly didn't have one for the CD ROM, and I cannot find one anywhere else. The top of the case says KONEX CD ROM MODEL NX-0101A MARCH 1999. Any ideas?:bounce:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information