Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: desktop switches to MyDocuments every time XP loads

Every time I load XP the desktop automatically loads MyDocuments. I cant find what is causing it. Its not the startup group, its not win.ini (Load/Run), its not HKLM or HKCU...run keys.

Right click on the taskbar and select "properties".
    Choose the "start menu" tab.
    Click the customize button
    The 6th item in the list is "expand my documents"
    Uncheck the box.

:( Thank you for the idea. Unfortunately the box was alrady unchecked. Funny thing, the standard desktop is visible for a few seconds then windows explorer comes up with the mydocument folder highlighted. Oh well, thanks again.
    JC

Here's an experiment you can try. Rename the folder that is highlighted when you start up. Just add an "X" to the front of the name for example (you can change the name back later). Re-boot and see if you get an error message that says a particular program or process can't find the folder. This may help track the source of the problem.

Thanks again. I learned something interesting. I renamed the Mydocuments folder under Documents and Settings for my account. The results at startup were the same. After poking around I found that the "My Documents" that is getting displayed is the global folder. All the files in that folder were pulled in from my personal Mydocuments (renamed xMydocuments). XP somehow found xMydocuments and pulled in the contents. I logged on as another user and the files in that account's Mydocuments were displayed at start up.
    JC

That is too strange. I'll probably get a headache trying to figure that one out, but I'll think on it some more.

Thread Information