Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: XP & ME on same OEM Compaq

Newbie to forums here. I run two compaq systems. The older one came with ME and I installed XP Home (that came with the new compaq) thinking it would wipe ME and give me the functionality of XP (which is much much better than ME) The problem is, ME didn't go away, I simply get a choice as to which O/S to boot up to. XP won't recognise the programs on C drive in ME which means installing to the D drive that XP can "see". The problem with that is compaq partitions the drives & D is only about 3 Gigs out of a 20 Gig HD.

So my question is, can I blow away ME on an OEM 'puter? If not, how do I get XP to recognise the programs intstalled on my C drive?

Many thanks to any who help.

BTW, the computers are going to be networked with a crossover cable as soon as I can figure that out... but that's another problem altogether LOL.
    "Record Broken in half? I'd take a shot at it" as quoted from the Niagara Falls Review Sept. 29, 2002

hi
    i think i understand what your asking.
    i have a 5108us compaq it had ME on it, i put xppro on it:thumb:
    when you install xp you have an option to delete partitions.
    go ahead delete all of them, that 3gig partition is for win ME recovery cd to do a factory restore. if you still have choice to what os to boot, like xp or me and only have xp on the hard drive you can edit this. go to my computer right click-properties-advanced tab-on (startup and recovery) click setting you will see (to edit the startup options file manually,click edit. if you see win ME for a boot loader back it out, leave xphome in there save the change.
    good luck

or....

reformat your hard drive and do a clean install of xp

OR...

Keep ME on it, partition your harddrive and add XP on the other partition like i did on my computer..

Thanks to [jfun] I now have a squeeky clean 750 amd duron with 384 megs of ram & NO partition & XP installed & running like a nigerian marathoner. Great board, thanks again.
    "Record Broken in half? I'd take a shot at it" as quoted from the Niagara Falls Review Sept. 29, 2002

Thread Information