Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: the procedure entry point w{printfA could not be located in

i recently formatted my pc. i have reinstalled winxp pro using ntfs (option 3 from setup). i have a made a back up cdrw with some personal stuff i like to keep. winace, email addresses, favourites etc. my problem is, when i try to run any of the execute files on my back up i get the error message: "whatever program" has encountered a problem and needs to close. every type of installer program gives me this message. but, on the same cd i can open word docs and pics without errors. i have tried this disc before i formatted and i was able to open and run installers and execute files. when i installed xp i did not get any errors, but when i put the xp disc back in my drive the autorun won't work and i get the same error message. i have used the cd's in other systems with no problems. i have also reformatted and installed windowsxp pro 2 times on this system. i should also mention that any other cd i try with a autorun gives me the same message. another error i get when i try to install one of my back up programs is: the procedure entry point w{printfA could not be located in the dynamic link library user32.dll

my system setup is as follows:

amd duron 700
    shuttle ak11a mobo (newest via drivers)
    256 pc133 RAM
    20 GB HD
    16MB vid
    plextor 24/10/40
    winxp pro os w/o sp1
    i haven't any software installed because i can't use any of my cd's :flames:

ps if somebody can recomend a snapshot type program. i can post pics of the errors i am getting

please help, this is really bugging me

thanks

does anybody have ir had similar experience or any suggestions

or perhaps i can post it in a different thread? ne thoughts

i'm a newbie so let me know if i should post more information

thanks

:cheers:

Your thread is in the right forum. More info can't hurt. I haven't seen this problem before but here are a couple of things I might try if I were trying to trouble shoot it. Have you logged on as administrator and tried loading programs? Have you tried copying an executable to the hard drive and running it? Here's a link to MS site decrribing the printf function:
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...c_.wprintf.asp

It includes the following description:
    The printf function formats and prints a series of characters and values to the standard output stream, stdout. If arguments follow the
    format string, the format string must contain specifications that determine the output format for the arguments. printf and fprintf
    behave identically except that printf writes output to stdout rather than to a destination of type FILE.

wprintf is a wide-character version of printf; format is a wide-character string. wprintf and printf behave identically otherwise.

I don't have a clue why this shows up.

thanks for the reply. i have tried c/p to HD. same thing. i've tried another cd writer. same thing. i've taken the backup disc to my dads and he has no problems. he has win98se though. not sure if that means anything or not. upgraded to sp1 through the excellent guide on tweaktown. same problems. i finally got one of the executables to run. it installed fine. i don't have the disc here to try opening it again but when i do i will post results. i was also getting errors refering to kernel.dll and some other dll files as well.

i am runnig the write as a secondary master w/ a 40 pin cable if that means anything?

Have you looked in "device manager" for the IDE controller settings? Is it reported as working properly? Does the secondary controller have "DMA if available" selected as the transfer mode the advanced tab? Are there any resource conflicts? The driver file details lists 2 drivers on my machine:
    atapi.sys
    storprop.dll
    I'm running xp pro with a TDK 40X burner set as master.

my settings and drivers are identical to yours?????

i noticed tonite that oe is removing some of my attatchments from incoming emails.

do you think this is a related problem or something different all together?

Are the attachments executables? Here's a shot in the dark. Does your mobo have boot sector virus protection (In the advanced section probably). If so, did you disable it before reinstalling the os? I've read several times that installing an os with this enabled can cause problems, though I don't remember any specific ones mentioned.

i'm not sure if the attatchments were exe's or not. i think some were just pics. i think it started doing this since i upgraded to sp1.

my bios does have the boot sector virus dtection. but it was disabled when i installed and formatted. both times.

heres a run down on what i've done :
    i formatted and reinstalled xp pro on my old machine. iused the back up disc as well as other copied cd's i have to set the system up. i removed my old burner and replace it with another one for these procedures (i recently sold my old pc) . i then recieved this machine. and repeated the process. i installed my plextor into this machine for the reinstall. only this time i kept getting those funky errors and couldn't use any of my cd's???

i used and old win 98 boot disk to get to my A: prompt, i then used a program called zapdisk to completely erase the first sector of the hd. i then used fdisk to create a partition and then boot winxp pro from the cd and formatted the hd (option 3 full format using NTFS)

the only thing i haven't done yet, which i already know the answer, is to try my burner in another system. i think this problem relates to to hd or the mobo. but i can't say for sure.

thanks for all your input thus far

:cheers:

i did some testing tonite. all is well. i have 2 almost identical systems. so i tried the burner on the other system. it worked and opened all files from back up disc. so that eliminated the burner. btw, the other system has win98se as an os. next, i swapped my hard drive over. and it worked. hmmm. not the hard drive. so i swapped the memory over everything still good. so i left it at that. either the board itself was defective, or maybe some incorrect jumper placements. i'm not sure?? but regardless, i reinstalled xp pro tonite and was able to use everything perfectly.

Thread Information