Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Media File Previews (Inside Win Explorer)

Are there any recognized tweaks for forcing WinXP to preview Media files (i.e. .mp3,mpeg) inside Windows Explorer? This feature was available in previous windows version, but not in WinXP appearantly.

What do you mean by preview? What would a preview of an mp3 be? (Maybe I'm having one of my "dummy days".)

Preview is the term that Microsoft used I think. In other words, play the file inside the folder. An embedded media player pops up inside Win Explorer folder then allows one to "preview" the media file. I guess it's noted as "preview" because you are not really launching any external media player application like Media Player, Quicktime, or Real Player to play the file. Win 2k has that feature in their folder options feature, but I wanna know if there's a registry tweak or something simpler that could achieve the same end result in Win XP.

I'm sure that in earlier versions of Windows what happened was that it still launched an "external" player. I can't remember now what it was, but it was a simple player that came with Windows. It wasn't a part of Win Explorer, as you could launch it from the desktop too, and select "file- open". Even then, you could change the file association and open your choice of player. You can change file associations now and have any program you wnt to open any type of file, as long as the program supports that file type. Then, when you double-click a file in Win explorer it will aumatically open in that app.

Thread Information