Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Deleting Files on CD-RW in WinXP ?

Hi Guys,

Need advice on how to delete selected files from my CD-RW using the WinXP CD burner ...

Any tips?

Thanks in advance!

For a cd/rw, you may need to use the software that originally formatted and wrote to the disk.

I think the software bundled with WinXP was the one that formated the cd ... but now, I can't delete selected files, I can only add more files to the cd

This is because the XP software (like any other software) burns in 'sessions'. This means that when you add information to the CD-RW it burns it and then 'closes' the session so that the disk can be read in any drive. With other software you have the option to 'finalise' the disk so that no more information can be written. If you want to be able to erase files from a CD-RW you need to use a programme like Nero's InCD or Roxio's DirectCD. These programmes allow you to format the disk and then use it as you would a floppy.

Post back if you need more help. :)

Yup, but I could always add more files to the CD. I just couldn't delete existing files.

Or is there any way I can pull up this CD burning software in XP so I could play around with the setting/options a bit.

Thanks for the replies! ;)

Quote Originally Posted by Ewen
    This is because the XP software (like any other software) burns in 'sessions'. This means that when you add information to the CD-RW it burns it and then 'closes' the session so that the disk can be read in any drive. With other software you have the option to 'finalise' the disk so that no more information can be written. If you want to be able to erase files from a CD-RW you need to use a programme like Nero's InCD or Roxio's DirectCD. These programmes allow you to format the disk and then use it as you would a floppy.

Post back if you need more help. :)

No there is no way you can access the programme or modify it. It is a modified Roxio product made expressly for XP and it is part of the system.

If you have a registered copy of Roxio Platinum 5 or Nero the programmes InCD and DirectCD are a free download and that is the ONLY way you are going to delete individual files from your CD-RW.

Thread Information