Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Probs with user acount in XP

Ok, my wife has a user account on my machine. She has the highest capable setting as admin. The problem is this, when she tries to right click and let's say cut and paste the program she's useing closes and nothing happens. So for example, let's say she wants to move a file from one folder to another. So she opens up windows explorer, locates the file, right click and choose cut it'll automatically close windows explorer and that's it. This happens anywhere she tries to use the ricght click even on the desktop to let's say make a new folder. Funny thing is this. I thought I was slick and going to be able to find an alternative for her when she asked me about this problem. I suggested she try and highlight the file and then choose EDIT up on top and then click on cut (thinking that it was a right click problem) but the same thing happens. Any ideas on what causes this and how to fix it? Sorry for the long winded explanation.

Try the Microsoft knowledge base ( http://support.microsoft.com ). Myself, I have never heard of this problem.

Can you cut and paste in any other account?

Yes I can do all that stuff on my account, just not on her account. I also tried deleteing her account and made another one with the same probs.

Ok, I narrowed it down to a specific problem. It seems to be only doing this with mp3 files. I made a whole other account and started testing the right click features and drop down menus and everything worked fine. So I tell my wife to just use that account instead of her original one. So she starts to setup her wallpaper and starts to move all her things over to her new account. Well as soon as she tried to move her mp3 files it started up again. So then I quickly switched to my account and and tried to move the same mp3 files and I had no problem (thinking one of the mp3 files were corrupt) So, I narrowed the problem down to the mp3 files under her account.

Do you have WMP9 beta? It is supposed to have DRM issues. It may not let her do anything with music files she doesn't "own". Can She move .mpg or .wmv files?

yuppers, I have WMP9, but this problem has been going on WAY BEFORE I installed WMP9.

had a similar problem on my lappy, had copied the mp3s from a cd to the hard drive, so they were, of course, read only...

that's likely too simple a fix for ya, but thought i'd mention it...

:?:

Thread Information