Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help with Bootvis - PLEEEEEEASE!!!! K56warnin

My PC boots over a minute. It's an AMD 2000+ XP, MSI K7T266 Pro2, R8500, 512MB PC2100. Below is the trace from bootvis. I did optimization several times but it doesn't help. I even reformated and reinstalled windows. Tell me what's wrong here please.

What other hardware do you use?
    Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

AMD 2000+ XP
    MSI K7T266 Pro2
    512 MB PC 2100
    R8500
    2 x IBM 60GB 60 GXP (not making any strange sounds or anything)
    Plextor 16/10/40 (actually not unhooked 'cause there's smth wrong with it, PC won't boot when I hook it up)
    Pioneer 16X DVD
    SoundBlaster Platinum
    3Com NIC

BTW, isn't that network delay to long?????

Pretty standard setup, sounds like a driver problem to me - HAve you updated all of your drivers to the latest versions?
    Cameron "Mr.Tweak" Wilmot
    Managing Director
    Tweak Town Pty Ltd

I've never had that problem before though. I had my problems but a fresh install always took care of everything and it used to boot after the bar (on WinXp boot screen) moved 3 times. Now I counted it's 27 times!!!!!!!!!!!!! Again it's a brand new XP install and I haven't installed anything else either, except latest R8500 drivers. What else can I check? 4in1's - they come with XP right?

For starters get rid of some of your startup programs. I can tell you for certain that CTFMON.EXE is completely unecessary. It's a file used by the MS Accessibility tools and unless you're using the accessibility tools, go into MSConfig - Startup tab (Start>Run>MSConfig) and untick it. There may be others depending on what you think you absolutely have to have at startup (I have nothing but RivaTuner low level overclocking on my startup).

As for the delay, it looks to be because it's looking for some network resources and can't find them. It has something to do with your NIC settings, so concentrate there.

Generally a delay like this occurs when XP is looking for something and can't find it. It will retry over and over and time out, usually after a minute or so. So you need to go very carefully over your settings. It doesn't sound like a driver setting because you said you reformatted and it still happens, so it's likely a BIOS setting or a connection fault of some sort.

Sorry I can't be more specific.

Load the latest 4-in-1 drivers listed on the mobo makers site. Windows usually does a poor job of it on its own. You said you didn't load anything else but vid drivers. How come nprotect.exe (Norton Utilities) and nopdb.exe (Speed disk) are running? Is Speed disk set to optimize load times in the background?

Also the 4 in 1's that come with XP are pretty dated and using the latest is better. ;)
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Yes forgot to mention the 4-in-1s. I have a quick Via 4-in-1 Driver Recommendations/FAQ post I've reproduced here at Tweaktown Via Forums.

Check it out, it'll answer all your 4-in-1 questions (I hope) :)

Yeah, I forgot about Norton Utilities 2002.

How do you install 4in1's on WinXP???? Anytime I tried doing this it goes through the install but when I check in device manager it still shows the old ones.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information