Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: error:trying to change from fat32 to ntfs

i tried changing over to ntfs in the safe mode..i even shutdown all the stuff running in the background.. my machine has only one partition.. i keep getting this message "convert can not run because volume is in use by another process. convert may run if this voulme is dismounted first. all opened handles to this volume would then be invalid. would you like to force a dismount on this volume?" what can i do?

thanks

What OS are you using? I'm assumming XP because of the thread that your in. Since 2k came along any low level disk acticity such as scan disk and in this case fat32>ntfs converter. Doesn't get access to the disk because its being used. Its being used by windows. That's why when you try to run scan disk it doesn't work in windows and you have to schedule one on the next reboot and you get that blue screen. I would assume you select dismantle the drive but you said it said that. you'll lose information in that case. So I wouldn't know what to tell you. But I do know that's why you can't run it.

3. Default Re: error:trying to change from fat32 to ntfs

You could use PartitionMagic.

Thread Information