Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problems with games after about 20-30 mins on WinXP

Im having a seriously bugging problem, no matter where i go i still can't find an answer to this problem that over shadows all of my games, all other programs work fine e.g - Strata3D, Flash4/5
    an MaYa.
    After about 20 or 30 minutes into the game im playing e.g - Counter Strike or MEdal of honor over the internet, im stopped by this problem, crashing, it usually happens when im just starting to enjoy that round, get a good score, an then it freezes, an about 10 seconds after its replayed the sound @ that time of the crash over an over, it comes up with the games has created an error and then it sends me back to the desktop.
    Then somtimes if i quit out the game before a map change, i have to Ctrl-Alt-Delete to close that game (while im on desktop and the game and theres no evidence of the game running while on desktop) then i select it and close half-life or other game down, after that its fine, but i still get crashes after 20-30 mins after even though i have gone to compatibility and selected Win98 for most of my games + i have a system that will support all games like UT2003 with no jerkyness.
    HEEELLLPP! :mad:

My first guess is a thermal problem. How do you cool the box? Do you monitor temps? What vid card do you have? Does it have another card installed in a slot right next to it? Is the vid card fan working? Are cables interfering with airflow? Was it always like this. Did you make any changes just before the problem started?

Yes a heat prob sounds to be it atm. ;)

Yes it sounds like either heat, or a lack of voltage if you're overclocked (or both). Maybe your RAM timings are too fast for your RAM and speed?

Crashes to desktop are usually memory related so check to make sure your memory is up to the speed/timings you're asking of it.

If you're overclocked, wind back to default, including your graphics card, and set your RAM to 'By Spd' in the BIOS. Open up the side of your case as well. If the problem still occurs after doing all this, then it really is likely to be a software setting.

If it is a software/setting problem try the following: set your AGP Aperature size to 128MB in the BIOS, turn off fast writes and sidebanding (both in BIOS and in any 3D tweak programs you use), and switch to AGP2x for maximum stability.

Finally, check my "WinXP Reformat to Relax" tweak guide (see sticky) for the optimal memory/cache settings which will help optimise RAM usage and may prevent crashes to desktop.

Well i havent had this problem with win98 or win2000
    its just windowsXP thats causing the problem, i have a window open, and a case thats got 2 extra fans that dont use the Power supply so the air flows ok in that area.
    Its only just started to happen when i installed XP, updated everything, then started to put games on.
    Apart from crashing dure in games its fine.

If it started after installing xp, then it's probably a driver issue -mobo, video, DirectX. Update these and the problem may disappear. You should have mentioned changing OSs in your original post. That makes a good start point for troubleshooting.

Also, was it a clean install or did you just install over the top of an existing OS?

I would strongly recommend a clean install because "update installs" often have a lot of problems.

Basically I've been running XP fine for over a year...it's the best OS I've used. Therefore your problems with XP are solveable...the OS is not inherently buggy. In fact quite the opposite!

Yeah its a clean install i dont really go for putting OS's over the top of other OS's, i did a clean install.
    Its just my games though that seems to be effected
    Any other information u recuire just post it an i'll tell you

Does your video card have a fan on it and is it working? I suppose it's possible that with xp you got a newer version of Direct X and now some games are using extended features and generating more heat on the vid card.

i have a geforce 3 ti200
    There happens to be no pronlems with the heat, its just a flaw in winXP and if anyone can find out the reason why it buggers up, plz lemme know.
    I dont know if the beta drivers 40.71 (Nvidia detonater) fixes this, but if anyone else has fixed the problem by downloading these drivers let me know, because there beta drivers
    and i dont take to downlaoding beta stuff very much because it has usually buggered my comp up
    But if anyone else has downloaded them, has had no problems i might decide 2 downlaod them

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information