Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why Windows XP and not Windows 2000?

I know what yorue sayin. I had video driver problems on my laptop in 2k, and i ended up running 98 til i got my hands on xp.
    "Ahhhhhh, Mingus Dew" - Capt. Murphy

Exactly, 2k does good for what it's made for, a business OS.
    On the servers in the schools we all run (or are moving up to) 2k, but the decision has been made to bypass 2k in the classrooms and go directly to XP.

Are there any specific utilities that are bundles with XP? I know that 2K does not have remote desktop, but has some other program that is only bundles with the server edition.

Also, I have heard various things about Windows XP and how it manages your system's RAM. Is that true?
    <Font size=2>"The demand to restrict technology is the demand to restrict man's mind" -- Ayn Rand
    <a style="text-decoration: none" href="http://www.whiteglovecollection.com/cord">
    <font color=blue><font face="Century Gothic" size="6">My Web Site</a></font>

depends what your've heard :p

you can still use termanal services with 2k
    but with xp there is a heap of new stuff like compatablatie wizard, and built in burning software that no one uses, and media player 8 and 9, etc, etc

My general thinking is that XP is a fully intergrated and practical os that is easy to live with for those with the power to run it. ;)
    <center>:cheers:</center>

If you already own/run Win2K, I wouldn't really say you have to switch to XP.

However if you've got any other MS OS, I highly recommend WinXP (Pro is preferable, but Home & Pro are almost identical).

Basically you can customise WinXP a lot more than Win2K. Plus WinXP is the major OS which MS will be pushing and supporting in the future, and almost all games will try and be compatible with XP first and foremost.

Most importantly, XP has a great blue interface. That alone is well worth the cost of upgrading :)

Quote Originally Posted by PersianImmortal
    Most importantly, XP has a great blue interface. That alone is well worth the cost of upgrading :)
    That is the one and only thing that I don't like about XP. But ya about home vs professional there are like 3 differences at most. One of them is in the administrative tools. I think like 2 of the groups are missing. And the color scheme on bootup/shut down. But that irrelevent.

Home does not support NTFS (i think), no admin tools, and cant be added to a domain.

I'm almost totally positive that XP Home supports NTFS. NTFS is the NT File System and 2000 & XP both run on the NT Kernel, so it would be logical that they use the same File System.

Am I right on this one guys?
    <Font size=2>"The demand to restrict technology is the demand to restrict man's mind" -- Ayn Rand
    <a style="text-decoration: none" href="http://www.whiteglovecollection.com/cord">
    <font color=blue><font face="Century Gothic" size="6">My Web Site</a></font>

Yes, you are correct.

However it dosent have all of the high end networking stuff built in like adding the comp to a domain like SegiY said.
    "Ahhhhhh, Mingus Dew" - Capt. Murphy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information