Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: SP1 Archive Files

I just installed the SP1 for Windows XP Pro. from the CD that I ordered from Microsoft. I only have dial-up, so I deceided to just pay the $10.00 My question is--at the beginning, I was asked if I wanted to "Archieve the files" I thought this meant to save the original files just in case something got messed up, and I had to go back to before I installed the SP1. I chose to "Archieve the files" It then told me that it created an Uninstall Folder at
    C:\Windows\$NtServicePackUninstall$ Since everything seems to be working properly, I thought I should find where these backup files were and remove them, since it told me at the beginning that it takes up considerable space. Where can I find these files to remove them ? I also do not see that folder $NtServicePackUninstall$ Thanks, mike

It' might be a hidden or system file, go in to folder options and switch to display hiden files and folders, and also un tick the hide system files (or soething close to those)
    also first look in "add/remove software" for "unistall sp1 information" or simalar.
    Use comon sense and you should be right :thumb:

Hi SegiY, I did as you suggested, I can now see that
    file $NtServicePackUninstall$. Under it are 22 more files that look something like this $NtuninstallQ307869$ they all start the same, but there are different numbers at the end. And if I go into ADD/Remove programs, I also see where I can UNINSTALL the Service Pack, but I do not think I want any of these items.
    Recap: It was my impression that Windows was going to save a lot of my files (Archive) somewhere so that I could retrieve them in case something got messed up while installing SP1. Windows also told me that it would take significant space to ARCHIVE these files. All I want to do is find this Archive file and delete it.
    Maybe Windows already deleted these files at the end of the install ? I do remember it saying that it was testing the install.
    Is this possible ? Mike

(somthing wrong) .In pathfinder mark C:\ there is regestry-backup 51.602KB .regards .oldi

Quote Originally Posted by MIKEW13
    Recap: It was my impression that Windows was going to save a lot of my files (Archive) somewhere so that I could retrieve them in case something got messed up while installing SP1. Windows also told me that it would take significant space to ARCHIVE these files. All I want to do is find this Archive file and delete it.
    Maybe Windows already deleted these files at the end of the install ? I do remember it saying that it was testing the install.
    Is this possible ? Mike
    I am quite positive that the (C:\Windows\$NtServicePackUninstall$) is your archived folder. Mine is 235MB. You could delete those archived files and then use a registry pruner to remove any orphaned entries from the add-remove list. SP1 uninstall of course would be orphaned after removing the archived files.

Thread Information