Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Should i format?

Ive been running xp for about 3 months now and was wonderin if i should format. Alot of people I know format every 2 weeks and I dont see the point seeing you have 2 d/l everything again. Thanx

The only "expert" recommendations I've ever heard for using format as a periodic maintanence tool is to do it once a year as a cure for "bitrot". The theory being that over time things happen such as dlls being overwritten by custom ones by installing new apps, leftover registry entries, corrupted file accumulation, etc.. XP is more resistant to this than previous versions of Windows anyway, so I beleive that unless you get a thrill out of re-installing Windows, formatting every 2 weeks is massive overkill.

Haha yeah formatting every 2 weeks is ridiculous. They must have too much time on their hands or something !

But yeah if your system is running nice a stable and without serious degredation in performance then theres no real incentive to reformat that often.

I would probably do it once or twice a year max.

Don't reformat for the sake of it and certainly not more often than every 6 months or so.

Check my WinXP Guide (link in reformat to relax sticky)...in the last section I have a "regimen" for maintaining your PC..cleaning out the registry and such. Do that and your setup should perform as new.

Once a year maybe with XP but unless your havin' probs or do something stupid you'll probably get even longer out of an install. ;)

ppl who reinstall more often are usually doin' so because they've done something stupid or installed something that they should've done. :smokin:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

I agree with you Wiggo, however sorry to say I'm one of those ppl who reformats regularly because I insist on raking around in places I shouldnt. But then again its all part of the learning curve. Learn from ****ups!
    If you truly love something, set it free. If it returns then it is yours.
    If it doesn't then hunt it down and kill it!

Thread Information