Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Changing Drive For New Windows 8 Install

tgsguitar is offline Junior Member

Default Changing Drive For New Windows 8 Install

My system currently has a Kingston 128gb SSD Boot Drive with Windows 7 - 64bit plus some other programs.
    It also has a Corsair 240gb SSD with some programs on it.
    Plus I have a 1TB HHD that has my data.

I want to do two things;

1) I'd like to install my operating system and change my boot drive to the 240gb SSD and do away with the 128gb SSD altogether. This was how it was supposed to be from the beginning but thats another storey :-(
    2) I purchased Windows 8 Pro and want to upgrade to that at the same time.

How would I go about making these changes ? I appreciate any direction you can provide.

JimC

My system is:

Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD5H
    CPU - Intel I-7 - 3770K
    Memory - 32gb 1600mhz Corsair
    Graphics Card - Zotac GTX660Ti 2gb
    Drives - Kingston 128gbSSD
    Corsair 240gb SSD
    WD Black - 1TB - 7200rpm HHD

parsec is offline Senior Member

Default Re: Changing Drive For New Windows 8 Install

You'll need to copy the programs from the Corsair SSD to perhaps your HDD, or install them to the Corsair later, etc. Then either secure erase or do a quick format of the Corsair SSD, which will remove everything on it.

Remove/disconnect all other drives from the PC, except DVD drive if you need it. Put the Corsair on the Intel SATA III port, and clear the CMOS/BIOS. Start the PC and go into the BIOS and be sure the SATA mode is either AHCI or RAID, and disable things you don't need. It's better to not OC the CPU or memory during a Windows install, unless you know the setting will work fine.

Then install Windows 8, and afterwards connect your other drives, not much to it.

Thread Information