Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Better Micro$oft Security....but you will have to pay extra

Have a look at the attached link.....M$ will fix security problems BUT ON A USER PAY BASIS....what a laugh
    http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=5773
    The older I get...the better I was

I don't love Microsoft and I think support should be free, but the biggest laugh is people who warez the software then expect to install updates and get support for nothing.

MS is obviously looking to business models which will guarantee them revenue because supporting OS's which people aren't buying doesn't make a business much money.

I would suggest that this is one of the many costs of piracy coming home to roost, along with tougher CD copy protection (like SecuROM).

Rob a company of its main revenue and believe it or not they'll look for other sources!

Hmmm?????

That's why I run my free Linux system and get free security updates etc etc etc....not for the money (I actually bought my linux distros) but to deny M$ of their exhorbitant charges for a third rate operating system......(XP released with over 60,000...yes 60,000 known bugs)....and we were charged for it and had to undergo the ubiquitous "Activation" for the privilege.

If M$ stuff was even reasonably priced and/or a decent product then the warez activity would dry up.....

Tell me PI what is the REAL improvement in WinXP over Win95 ......in real functional terms....and don't give me the crap about stability....XP is just as fragile as win95/98 (whether you reboot or just lose the application....with the latest Direct X win95/98 is just as stable....and that's where a lot of XP stability comes from...the improvements DX provides to accessing the hardware...applies just as well to the older versions of windows along with improvements in the intelligence of the hardware itself.....nothing to do with XP itself really)....what more can you do with XP????? and how much have YOU paid for the privilege of all that extra functionality???

Quote Originally Posted by Oldbugger
    Hmmm????? That's why I run my free Linux system and get free security updates etc etc etc....not for the money (I actually bought my linux distros) but to deny M$ of their exhorbitant charges for a third rate operating system
    How long would Linux (especially a fully compatible, fully featured version) stay free once everyone adopted it I wonder?

If M$ stuff was even reasonably priced and/or a decent product then the warez activity would dry up.....
    This is the eternal chicken and the egg argument. MS is not going to lower their prices in the hope that pirates will buy them. Anyone who can get XP for free won't pay much more than, say for a copy. So who will make the first move?

Tell me PI what is the REAL improvement in WinXP over Win95 ......in real functional terms....and don't give me the crap about stability....XP is just as fragile as win95/98 (whether you reboot or just lose the application....with the latest Direct X win95/98 is just as stable....and that's where a lot of XP stability comes from...the improvements DX provides to accessing the hardware...applies just as well to the older versions of windows along with improvements in the intelligence of the hardware itself.....nothing to do with XP itself really)....what more can you do with XP????? and how much have YOU paid for the privilege of all that extra functionality???
    Sigh...don't use XP if you feel it's inferior. I use it, it's completely stable, performs extremely well and is MUCH MUCH better than 95/98/ME for me. So I went and bought a copy. You have the choice not to.

Basically I think Microsoft are a monopoly and yes they don't make top-notch products, but I haven't found a viable alternative out there, and please don't mention Linux (viable=100% compatible and easy to use).

And I can understand that if they can't make as much revenue from selling their products due to warezing, OF COURSE they will turn to other forms of revenue, as other businesses do.

I didn't find it "MUCH MUCH" better simply cause I could find anything it was MUCH MUCH better at....like I said, given the improvements in the DX and hardware intelligence it is really academic.....I have yet to find anyone who can tell me what it is actually MUCH MUCH better at. All a M$ con.

We could go on forever arguing the ins and outs of M$ marketing hype.....

Both the Chinese and Indian governments have chosen Linux as their OS of choice....not a bad market...and I don't think the cost of ownership will approach anything like M$. I have just undertaken a full management costing for a large govt agency which has now chosen the linux path (partially initially) both on cost AND performance grounds . The M$ FUD was strangely similar to that proffered to the Peruvian Govt and which was fully discredited and which failed to stand full scrutiny in a competitive tendering environment.

I have no ideological reason for preferring any one O/S over another. I do have over 30 years experience in IT and I do not like to see people, especially the technologically niaive, hoodwinked by marketing hype. All I have raised this issue for is so that all can make an informed decision based on all the facts, not only those put forward by those who are trying to sell an inferior (especially for the price) product.

How many times have M$ actually contacted you...a registered owner, and said that there may be a security issue with your O/S? How many times has it been left up to you to actually find out by your own devices then chase a solution, if it is forthcoming at all? I could go on.....

.Like I said, and all I am saying is, look at what you really are getting for the good money you pay...there may be better alternatives.....and isn't that what competition is all about...informed choice....something M$ is a bit scared of at the moment...that's why they sent Steve Balmer to Aus recently to see Telstra's bosses who decided to transfer 45,000 of their machines to Linux and Open Office.....

Personally coming from a technician side were I repair customers laptops all day long. Microsoft XP is great. It runs more stable over all than 95/98. As far as ME is concered all I can say is remeber that microsoft actually only supported that os for 6 months then apoligized for how bad it was.

Now dont get me wrong I love linux and have alinux box at home to act as my server. When it comes to ease of use though it still has a ways to go. Once that is out of the way though it will probably become alot more popular on home user systems.

For now though we are stuck is MS. So make the best of it and let all heolp develop opensource and make that the standard!!!

Thread Information