Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Temporary Internet Files disaster

I was trying to empty my Temporary Internet Files folder and although it shows no contents, when i right click and check properties i find a number of hidden folders totalling 6MB. It was suggested in an XP forum that i move my
    "C:\Documents and Settings\Sean\Local Settings\Temporary InternetFiles" folder to a new location, and in doing so these hidden folders would then be displayed at which point i could delete them.
    Right before i did this, i created the folder "C:\Temp", went to My Computer; properties; advanced; environment variables, and changed the variable values for all 4 TEMP/TMP files pointing
    them to this new folder. I saw this tip in the same place in the forum while searching for help clearing my temporary internet files. After moving the Temporary Internet Files folder to my desktop by going through Internet Explorer; tools; internet options; Temporary Internet Files; "settings" tab, i was prompted to reboot. When i did windows failed to load.
    I was able to start in safe mode. I decided i would try putting the folder back but was surprised to see that there already WAS another temporary internet files folder in its place. The one on the desktop was the one with the 6 MB of hidden folders and i COULD see the folders now on my desktop in safe mode. Not knowing what i should do i tried to restart, only to have windows fail to load again. So again i go into safe mode and decide to do a system restore. Windows loads and the system restores successfully but now there is still a temporary internet files folder on my desktop as well as TWO?! temporary internet files folders in my file system, one here:
    C:\Documents and Settings\Sean\Local Settings\Temporary Internet Files (the original w/ 6MB of hidden folders)
    and one here:
    C:\Documents and Settings\Sean\LocalSettings\Temp\TemporaryInternet Files
    So i delete the one on the desktop, restart, and windows fails to load.
    Safe mode, system restore, to an earlier restore point, as per "system restore" suggestion. Now i am up and running, can
    restart without fail, but now i have 2 MORE temporary internet file folders than when i began! What the hell did i do wrong and how can i fix it?! Also, as an aside, the name Sean was my original user name when i installed XP Pro but i have since changed my name, successfully removing all trace of the original "sean" through registry edits, etc. EXCEPT that this folder name
    "C:\documents and settings\Sean\" can't be changed and it really bugs me! Can anyone tell me how i can change it to my current user name? Thanks in advance for any help...

Well that doesn't sound good, but then I'm no expert with XP. ;)

Have you tried booting from the XP disk and doing a repair? :?:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

well, no
    the system restore seems to have worked. I figured out that if i go through disk clean up the hidden folders will be displayed. just not through explorer. I did get the T.I.F. folder off of my desktop! everything is running smoothly now. Perhaps it was the changes i made in the environment variables that crashed the start-up?
    Concerning the registry, i HAVE been searching for the T.I.F. entries in order to delete the extra ones. Can anyone tell me if its safe to delete them in the registry? Can you point me to them? I still have 2 Temporary Internet Files folders, one in
    C:\documents and settings\sean\local settings\T.I.F.
    and; C:\documents and settings\sean\local settings\TEMP\T.I.F.
    Incidently, does anyone know if i can safely delete the other 2 T.I.F. folders found under "local service" and "network service"? Why are there so many?!
    While searching through the registry, i found under;
    H_HEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\software\microsoft\windows\cur rentversion\explorer\docfolderpaths, the entries for my 2 names, "Administrator" and "Sean" in the "documents and settings" paths. This was my aside question! I'm assuming i can just right click and Rename the name "Sean" and then modify the Data to change \Sean\ in the path to my new user name, right? After yesterday's crash i'm hesitant to make any more changes or else i would've done this already! Thanks again, i really appreciate any help...

i dont know i lost you a loooong time ago towards the end of your first post

will re-read this thing again tmorrow.....it is funny though when you read at you write :)
    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    ABit KR7A-133RAID
    AMD AXP2700+@2188MHz
    Crucial PC3200 @ 266MHz
    ChainTech GFX 5600U @ 234/798
    Seagate Baraccuda IV 80.0GB
    WinXP Pro
    ViewSonic G70fmb 17" 0.21mm/0.25mm
    Altec Lansing 221 2.1 speakers
    SoundBlaster Audigy Platinum
    Plextor PX-716A DVD+-RW DL
    Plextor PX-708A DVD+-RW
    Plextor 24x10x32xA
    Antec SX1040B w/400W Antec SmartPower
    Microsoft TrackBall Explorer
    Logitech Elite Keyboard

hmm...

you were just looking to use that animated icon, huh?
    don't bother re-reading tomorrow, i don't think sleep will fix anything! j/k, actually i posted the exact message word for word at tweakdatabase.com and got some very insightful replies. stark contrast. i think i'll pass "it's funny though when you read at you write" by them to see if they can help me out with that as well!
    i think i'm done here...

Default Re: Temporary Internet Files disaster

Sean, w.r.t. how to change your user name, here's the trick. Backup first of course, and do all of the following from your Administrator account. Rename the "default-user" folder to "default-user-save". Make a copy of your OldYou folder and rename it to "default-user". Then create NewYou's profile via [Control-Panel.User-Accounts.Create-A-New-Account]. Verify that NewYou's profile works correctly. Delete OldYou's actual profile data, first via [Control-Panel.User-Accounts.Change-An-Account.Delete-Account(?)], and then via [MyComputer.Properties.Advanced.UserProfiles.Settin gs]--or Windows will keep it forever. Then you can delete OldYou's folder. Lastly, delete your temporary "default user" folder and then rename "default-user-save" back to "default user".

I'm can't guarantee that this is the EXACT procedure to follow (I'm doing this from memory). The key concept is to get your settings into the "default user" folder because Windows uses it as the template for creating new profiles (ie. the folders for new users). An after-thought: you "might" want try deleting [Local-Settings\Temp]'s copy of TIF before creating your new profile. Try it out for a week or so before deleting OldYou's account/folder. That way, you'll know for sure.

I've got the same problem with multiple "temporary internet files". Research suggests that Windows may be using "temporary internet files" as a generic sub-path that signals the onset of special protections for the contained sub-folders. In short, it may be using one your (our) extra TIF folders for a (presumedly legitimate) purpose other than holding temporary internet files--perhaps to protect printer drivers/controls. The problem is that Windows (and it users) can get confused about which TIF is which. So our IExplorer settings might not be in synch with the correct folder. I've been browsing other sites regarding the 2-TIF's problem, and I think we've got a tuff problem here. Windows is protecting these folders blindly, but persistently. My cookies and TIF seem to be unfixably out of synch--which means, for instance, that CCleaner (a junk-file cleaning tool) is targeting the wrong TIF/cookies folders by default. I used IE's settings to redefine TEMP's TIF as the official TIF--but as of now, I don't know whether that was a good idea or not. W.r.t. trying to fixing the problem via registry settings, I found no joy there. Everything I saw was pointing to the default TIF location in [Local-Settings]. I did manage to use CCleaner's advanced-tab's settings to target TEMP's TIF-contents and Cookies for deletion. But I still don't really understand what's going on exactly ...

Good luck.
    Last edited by dwathle; 01-08-2011 at 11:59 AM.

Default Re: Temporary Internet Files disaster

Quote Originally Posted by dwathle View Post
    Sean, w.r.t. how to change your user name, here's the trick. Backup first of course, and do all of the following from your Administrator account. Rename the "default-user" folder to "default-user-save". Make a copy of your OldYou folder and rename it to "default-user". Then create NewYou's profile via [Control-Panel.User-Accounts.Create-A-New-Account]. Verify that NewYou's profile works correctly. Delete OldYou's actual profile data, first via [Control-Panel.User-Accounts.Change-An-Account.Delete-Account(?)], and then via [MyComputer.Properties.Advanced.UserProfiles.Settin gs]--or Windows will keep it forever. Then you can delete OldYou's folder. Lastly, delete your temporary "default user" folder and then rename "default-user-save" back to "default user".

I'm can't guarantee that this is the EXACT procedure to follow (I'm doing this from memory). The key concept is to get your settings into the "default user" folder because Windows uses it as the template for creating new profiles (ie. the folders for new users). An after-thought: you "might" want try deleting [Local-Settings\Temp]'s copy of TIF before creating your new profile. Try it out for a week or so before deleting OldYou's account/folder. That way, you'll know for sure.

I've got the same problem with multiple "temporary internet files". Research suggests that Windows may be using "temporary internet files" as a generic sub-path that signals the onset of special protections for the contained sub-folders. In short, it may be using one your (our) extra TIF folders for a (presumedly legitimate) purpose other than holding temporary internet files--perhaps to protect printer drivers/controls. The problem is that Windows (and it users) can get confused about which TIF is which. So our IExplorer settings might not be in synch with the correct folder. I've been browsing other sites regarding the 2-TIF's problem, and I think we've got a tuff problem here. Windows is protecting these folders blindly, but persistently. My cookies and TIF seem to be unfixably out of synch--which means, for instance, that CCleaner (a junk-file cleaning tool) is targeting the wrong TIF/cookies folders by default. I used IE's settings to redefine TEMP's TIF as the official TIF--but as of now, I don't know whether that was a good idea or not. W.r.t. trying to fixing the problem via registry settings, I found no joy there. Everything I saw was pointing to the default TIF location in [Local-Settings]. I did manage to use CCleaner's advanced-tab's settings to target TEMP's TIF-contents and Cookies for deletion. But I still don't really understand what's going on exactly ...

Good luck.
    Thanks you for sharing

Thread Information