Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: XP problem.. system crashes every so often

1800XP
    WIN XP Pro / with SP1 installed
    all critical updates installed / all but 2 drivers installed (drivers naff :) )

I have a problem similar to another user on this forum... every so often the computer just crashes and reboots. it starts the scan wizard and flies through it checking the drives.. i have noticed that it says something along the lines of (clusters in use allocation error) it goes past so fast i hardly see it) sorry i cant be more specific... but it happens so fast and the comp crashes infrequently (i will try and write down all info when it does it again and update this post)

i have sorted the avi file problem and have no other errors at the moment.

anybody have any ideas?

Truly random crashes can sometimes be caused by a PSU that isn't quite making enough power to satisfy the system.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Go into the Control Panel and open Administration Tools, there you will find the Event Viewer, open that up and have a look at what errors have been recorded there. It will usually point out what software/drivers/hardware are causin' probs. If there is nothing recorded that is pointing to anything in particular then it would have to be the PSU. ;)
    <center>:cheers:</center>

You may want to go to:System Properties/advanced/Startup and Recovery/and untick automaticly restart. It will give you the blue screen before it reboots so you can write it down.
    :-) Dave

AHHHHHH!!! Just to let you know, I am still having this problem as well, iv tried formatting hdd and reinstalling windows but it has came back again, (still only when i run p2p apps though!?!?!) length of time between crashes varies though, im waiting for some RAM to come , so i can upgrade my 128MB which is on the short side so ill let you know how i get on once its installed and if it makes any diff.

:snip:

Thread Information