Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: XP Slow to run

I had exactly the same issue, when XP booted I got the desktop then it stopped, I could initiate applications but they would not start i.e. I could see them on the task manager but there were not moving. What I did was to start up the service monitor at startup (run from the startbar services.msc) (fortunately this did run) and checked to see which services were starting, from that I could see that a service was in starting mode for a loooonnnnng time. In my case it was Microsoft's Background Intelligent Transfer service (BITS) which I subsequently disabled using services.msc, after which XP starts at a gallop :thumb:

There was some scuttlebut going around that the copy protection on XP wouldn't actually crash the system if it detected a copy...it would just slow thing down to an unbearable extent.......it happened with an "evaluation" version given to a friend of mine me by some filthy swine...of course he destroyed it .........:D :D :D

Might be crap but??

This is not a slowdown, its a pause after windows is fully loaded. My hard drives won't access for a 2 minutes but once they operate then all is well. Everything then runs great until I reboot then I wait again.

Mine does the same thing. I just assumed it was life in the XP lane. Unlike Murin, I can't even get to the Start menu to run services.msc until XP completes whatever it is doing on startup, but I disabled BITS as he suggested, but that didn't help me. Some programs do run immediately, though, like Netscape. I'd be interested to know if this is normal startup, because it is sometimes annoying to have to wait if something can be tweaked to avoid it.

Beefy Guest

Quote Originally Posted by SileNceR

peeps not capitalising my name... sheeesh.... its only 3 letters!

there are thousands of silencers and SilenceRs and Silencers and SILENCERs out there, but AFAIK only the one SileNceR... its an individual name - keep it that way.... please :)
    sorry silencer... :rolleyes:

Quote Originally Posted by [size=7
    acheyenne[/size]]
    I'd be interested to know if this is normal startup, because it is sometimes annoying to have to wait if something can be tweaked to avoid it.
    It most definately isn't normal as both the K6-3+ and Athlon here boot very quickly into XP. :?:
    <center> </center>

It does boot very quickly to the desktop, and I can immediately run Netscape, for example, and go happily to the internet or my email. But Windows Explorer, for example, will not start for a minute or so, until XP gets done doing whatever it's up to. Same with getting to the Start menu, so I can't run services.msc to see what the heck is holding it up.

Is yours fully functional as soon as the desktop comes up?

Yes everything is. All apps and the network. ;)

Acheyenne,

You could try bootvis it shows what is running as XP initialises and may indicate what is holding you up.

I point you to this web page because it has a link to the app and gives quite a good description of its usage.

http://www.jsiinc.com/subj/tip4700/rh4710.htm

the site may also have other useful ideas

Regards and good luck

:cheers: Murin

Thanks, Murin.

I'll give it a try and report back if I find out something that might be helpful to others with this problem..

Best regards,

acheyenne

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information