Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: XP Slow to run

By chance, have you disabled MS Messenger from running at start up? I had a similar experiece when I first loaded XP Pro. XP knows I have a NIC and creates a LAN connection. I'm just guessing, but if Messenger is started up and XP thinks the PC has a LAN connection already, then it might be trying to use your network connection (which may not exist yet, so this is going to cause some wait states) to set up your Messenger service.

As soon as I went to the messenger icon in the System Tray and selected don't start Messenger on start up, then on my next restart, it came right up.

Don't know, might help,
    dagger

to disable MS messenger just run MSconfig - on the startup tab you'll see MSMSGS - untick it

here's another alternative too
    http://www.tweakxp.com/tweakxp/display.asp?id=222
    <font face="Arial" size="1">Where do you want to go today?</font><br><font face="Arial" size="2">Where ever the beer is please.</font>

dagger & wuntvor,

Yay!!! Thanks, you guys are on the right track! I disabled Messenger in XP services, (and also had to actually rename the folder as per wuntvor's link). I also set SNMP services to manual. Something in this combination has reduced the time for full boot by at least 30 seconds. After the desktop appears, there's still about 8 or 10 seconds of thrashing around before the start menu becomes available, but it's a huge improvement.

Thanks for your insights.

good to hear acheyenne :thumb:
    <font face="Arial" size="1">Where do you want to go today?</font><br><font face="Arial" size="2">Where ever the beer is please.</font>

acheyenne just as a thought, how much memory do you have? :?:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

512 PC2100 DDR 2-2-2

Asus A7V266-E
    Athlon 1900+
    (2) IBM 40GB ATA100 in RAID 0
    GeForce3 TI 500 (23.11 drivers)
    XP Home Full Install

Well lack of is not a prob then. :smokin:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information