Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: XP Slow to run

After restart-Desktop appears-Clink on (Start) opens fine- It appears that as soon as windows needs hard drive it goes into a 2 min wait- I get an hourglass icon and then wait for hard drive light then everything works correctly for days until I have to restart and then I wait again. what can cause this -Ultra DMA mode 5 is set in properties

have u gone through all ur startup stuff?

msconfig and see what all runs on bootup - lose what you don't need

maybe there's some services you have running that you don't need as well

Beefy Guest

umm.. XP doesn't come with an MSCONFIG utility, does it? you can download one somewhere though...

yeah XP does, but 2k doesnt
    SileNceR, Messenger of the Dark and the Night. To post quality, or not to post at all, THAT is the Question - Never again ask what can my post count do for me besides increasing my ego, but instead ask what can I do to help someone else!
    Overclockers Melbourne (http://www.ocmelbourne.com).

Beefy Guest

sorry.. my mistake.. :) Thanks silencer...

virus maybe buggy

how much ram do you have cause if you only have a small amount (128 meg or less) it take a long to be ready for action when u frist start it

I have 512 DDR ram win XP ECS K7S5A 64 NVidia Ultra 40ghard drive sound blaster live value Its only slow to start the first time after reboot 2min. Example-- Push start open control panel push performance maintance -push system open hardware-push device manager pause 2min hard drive light activates then works like a champ for days until reboot I can live with it but why?

Very strange as No.1 son has basically the same setup but it boots pretty quickly. :?:
    <center> </center>

Quote Originally Posted by Beefy
    sorry.. my mistake.. :) Thanks silencer...
    peeps not capitalising my name... sheeesh.... its only 3 letters!

there are thousands of silencers and SilenceRs and Silencers and SILENCERs out there, but AFAIK only the one SileNceR... its an individual name - keep it that way.... please :)
    SileNceR, Messenger of the Dark and the Night. To post quality, or not to post at all, THAT is the Question - Never again ask what can my post count do for me besides increasing my ego, but instead ask what can I do to help someone else!
    Overclockers Melbourne (http://www.ocmelbourne.com).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information